1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Handwired Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cr8z4life, Sep 16, 2005.

1. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

On my business trip to Chicago I finally had a chance to stop at Make'n music. Great bunch of guys with some great gear!!

Anyway, I had an opportunity to plug into one of the new 1974x handwired 18 watt models and I was blown away! This thing just plain rocked.........Its not as versatile as some of the boutique clones out there (could never replace my Sommatone-thanks Jimmy)....but if you jump the channels and just dime the tones and volumes you have absolute dead on vintage marshall tones...and all adjustments done from guitar. I really was blown away by what came out of this lightweight 1x12 combo.....I think they have also had the greenback custome made to be aged and loose right out of the box....anyway for all you guys that love vintage marshall tones at decibel levels that are acceptable ....these really do rock! :dude

2. WayneM

WayneM Member

I bought a slightly used one and then ordered the additional 1x12 cab. I absolutely love this amp. Every guitar that I own sounds great and every guitar's individual voice shows it self.

The tremelo channel is chimey and somewhat voxy and the other channel is pure Marshall. I have 7 amps but this is all I have been using since the purchace.

[​IMG]

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I read somewhere that these have been discontinued. Were they just a limited run?

4. WayneM

WayneM Member

This is not a limited run....however, Marshall is limited to units built per month....there is a long backlog in their production line.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have the head version - the 20w, non-trem-channel 2061X - and love it. Thing just STOMPS with Marshall tone!

--chiba

6. sws1

sws1 Member

How do these things compare to the 18watt Aiken Invader? I know it's different circuits, but tonally where do they sit?

7. tuna

tuna Member

I have an Aiken 18 watt Invader w/1-12 cab. I also have the Marshall 2061X head and the 2-12 cab. The Aiken sounds almost dead on to the Marshall. The Marshall sounds to have more balls when you crank it and get the gain going. Everybody says it sounds like a mini-plexi and I agree.

The Aiken is more versitile, you can get more tones (more eq controls and reverb). I love my Aiken, bought that first. It is a cool amp and I love the built in attenuator.

But I have always wanted a Marshall amp and when I saw that thing sitting on the floor, I new it was going home. More of a one trick pony, but what it does, it does very well.

I will say this, my 59RI PlainTop Les Paul has never sounded as good until I plugged it into the Marshall.

8. sws1

sws1 Member

So the Marshall then has the EL84 distortion, a bit broken-glass-ish, right?

9. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Oh man, I played one of those at Rocker Guitars in SanFran while there on business and I fell in love. Awesome amp. You have good taste my friend...

10. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

how would say a carmen chia compare?

11. Deaj

Deaj Member

I just played one of the Marshall handwired 18 watt 1x12 combo amps and it's the shizznit for classic cranked Marshall Plexi tone at a sane volume! The tremolo sounds great as well. What a fantastic amp!!:dude

I used to have a Dr.Z Carmen Ghia head and I'd have to say this is a different amp altogether. A comparison on the outside may not indicate this (2xEL84, tube rectified, Volume & Tone only) but the circuits and resulting tones are very different. Both are great sounding amps but I favor the Marshall 18 watt.

I think my next amp is going to be one of the 18 watt variants and I'm leaning heavily towards the Reinhardt.

12. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Yup. I'd go for a Reinhardt, Trinity SIII, or an Aiken tomcat over the Marshall reissue. I've played the marshall reissue, but I just would prefer one of the above

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I had an Aiken Intruder and it was more versatile....the cleans were classic plexi, but this Marshall gets that cranked Marshall tone in spades.....the way they voiced it if you were put in a room with your eyes closed except for the volume you would swear it was EL34's! It sounds like a cranked marshall stack with a little less bottom end.....and no, not even any where near Icepicky........ and this with a les paul and a guitar chord is all you need!!

14. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

No offense to any of the builders mentioned....but I have owned or played through 2 out of the 3 above and if your a classic rock guy I would grab the marshall!! (this coming from a boutique snob!! lol)

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hear what you're saying, Keef!
    I'd tend to go along with that viewpoint except that Reinhardt will fine tune the tonality of his amps for you - eg you like Mick Taylor's tone on Crusade? No problem.
    I hate to say it but his master's are useful too even with an 18 watt amp - and I used to be Mr. NoMaster..........

Did you do a side by side with the 20 watt head, btw?

Best, Pete

16. Pearly Grapes

Pearly Grapes Member

Ditto! Love my 2061x!! Fully agree w/ the mini-plexi description. It sounds great w/greenbacks *&* the modern 75w speakers. Vintage 30 speakers are my least favorite of the three. With 75w speakers it gets Very AC/DC-ish. Interesting!

The 18w sounds just as good, but the tube rectifier (& other things) gives it a very smooth compression. It's "loose" whereas the 2061x is "tight". They both sound fantastic to my old ears!

PG

17. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I borrowed the 2061x for the weekend, and used it with my Naylor 2x12 with Cel Blues. I can't get the sound out of my mind. It had to be on 10 to really sing, but the cleans are 3D, and beautiful. Now I have to check out the 1974. I didn't have much chance to demo it, as I had one of those dreaded "could you turn down, we can't hear the phone" experiances. I got so pissed, I told the guy to sell his 2K amp to somebody else who only wants to hear it on 2. My regular sales guy felt bad and loaned me the 2061. Now I have to really check out the combo. I think I like to hear that tight bottom, with the SS rectifier though. It just won't get flubby/farty sounding. And, the cab was perfect for this head. I just didn't hear anything like this at our ampfest last year. The head was almost too much for our rehearsal, and gigs are almost always way lower volume than that. That's why I need to hear the 1974. The head might have TOO much headroom for these small gigs. And, I made the mistake of leaving the price tag on the head, while it was in our house. First time my wife mentioned "the $". oops.

18. rastaman

rastaman Member

It sounds like this little 20watter is loud. I have a 30w Marshall w/ 2 EL34's and I'll tell you, it's a loud mo fo. The Artist has 1 12AX7 but is considered a SS preamp. It is one of the best Marshall crunches I've ever heard though. I'll never sell it. I play it through a 4/10 and it sounds awesome. If only I could fix the clean channel, it's very sterile.

But, as loud as you guys say this is, in a band setting [rehearsal and/or gigs] does this thing HAVE to be turned up all the way to sound good? I don't thing the 18w has nowhere near enough headroom to play an outside gig so I was leaning towards the 2061X.

19. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I tried the 1974x at make'n music where they have soundproofed rooms (what a pleasure to be able to crank an amp and not have people bitching at you....great store!!) But a well soundproofed room holds the sound in so it might sound a little louder outside of it.....my feeling was it shined with everything dimed......without ear bleeding.....and if you needed more in a band setting live....if you mic it,. you will love it- and the soundman and everyone listening will too....it will give you THE tone and at sound levels everyone will be happy with

20. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

'nother 2061X guy (Chiba's fault, or at least that's what I told the GF) :D

Love it. Totally different than the Z Ghia I had or the Aiken i tried out. All fabulous amps for what they do, but I wanted "Grissom at reasonable levels" and this does it. M&H Mix of Scumbacks, and this thing just rocks! Roll back the volume on the guitar, cleanish enough, more gain? Boost pedal is just fine.

[​IMG]