Hanging Guitars on the wall

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dmbandtimmy, May 19, 2015.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Is it ok to hang guitars on the wall? After I did it (a few days ago, I started to wonder if it's bad for them). Also, I'm wondering if I should put a humidifier in the acoustic. It's in the basement though.

Here is a picture of my setup. I wanted to hang all of my guitars, but I didn't want it to look cluttered.

[​IMG]

2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I think it looks great. It didn't look cluttered at all.

My acoustic does not hang on the wall. It is in my basement as well but I still fear exposure issues. However, if your humidity and temperature is in the "good" range then you shouldn't have much to worry about. My basement has outside access so the levels aren't nearly as stable as I wish they were.

The SG, on the other hand, is nearly always hanging up. Hey it's hanging up right now!

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Nah. There's no "hanging by the neck until dead" for guitars.
    Not advised if you live in earthquake territory, however.

FXPedal.com likes this.
  4. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

perfect, thanks fellas! I think I'll take down the acoustic and I'll throw up another fender.

5. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

You'll be fine. I hung my guitars up for years with no issues.

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I agree with the feedback from others. I've always used wall hangers. I am quite partial to the ones that snap shut so that an accidental brush against the guitar doesn't make it come down.

7. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

If I didn't live in Ca I'd have mine on the walls. The perfect home decor.

8. Improbable Joe

Improbable Joe Member

I've hung guitars on walls, and on the Hercules stands where the weight is more or less in the same spot. So far, no problems. If I ever do the wall-hanging again, I think I'll spring for the pads that keep the bodies from touching the wall.

9. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

The only warning I would offer would be regarding hanging a guitar on an exterior wall in a older house. If there is insufficient insulation in that wall, the outside temperature may cause the wall to be cold in the winter or hot in the summer. This can cause the guitar to be different temperatures on the front and back side if it is hanging on this wall. This is more of a problem for acoustic guitars than solid body guitars.

Stonebandit likes this.
  10. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

11. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I built some display cases for mine. They keep the dust off them and I like to think it might help with rapid changes in humidity when I air the house. I also made sure I only hung them on internal walls for temperature control reasons. The external walls are insulated but I wasn't going to take the risk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  12. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Hang mine for 20 years now. No issues. Can't stand to leave them in the case. They don't get played that way. I think I've added one since this pic ?

[​IMG]

Here she is. Makes a good beer coaster I quess ?

[​IMG]

Paully1 likes this.
  13. Edwood

Edwood Member

Just make sure you hit a stud! I hung one with a wall anchor a while ago, a few days later- CRASH! The Fender survived.

14. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I screwed a 1x8 into the wall, so I would be able to anchor a hanger anywhere and get good spacing. I just puttied the holes and painted it, although you could stain the board, too.
    [​IMG]

15. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I used a very old method of mounting the guitar cabinets called french cleats - it's an old cabinetmakers trick.

Basically you screw a board with a 45 degree hook to the studs behind the wall. The cabinets have an opposing 45 degree board built into it that locks into the one on the wall. Using this method the mounting is completely hidden. The guitar hangers are then screwed into both boards which completely locks them together.

lennokez likes this.
  16. scotiadk

scotiadk Member

Prefer to keep mine in cases, only because I live in old drafty house (circa 1892) with more dust than the sahara.

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I got a bunch hanging in the living room and the computer room. Lucky for me the wife is a music fan

18. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

A friend did this exact thing and on the back of all the guitars on that wall the glue joints had separated . It was like the body cupped. Bummer

19. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

Fantastic. I have trepidations leaving guitars exposed even in a climate controlled room. I love it!

20. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

Let them hang man, no problems with that. And they are easier to pick up and play with!