Hanging Wall Mounts/Brackets for Guitars

no_technique

For those of you who hang your guitars on your wall, which hangers/mounts do you use? Also, did you go with drilling into a stud in your walls, or did you chance it with just drywall screws and anchors?

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
If you can locate the hanger on a stud then just use appropriate screws. But if you can't try these; I used these toggle straps last time I mounted hangers to our studio walls. They work great for drywall mounting between studs...much better than the old style toggle bolt system.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hil...le-Straps-with-Screws-6-Pack-376260/202982713

for hangers I chose these. they work well with any headstock.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Off-the-Wall/Heavy-Duty-Guitar-Hanger.gc
but there's a ton of options for the hanger, Amazon carries most of them.

no_technique

Fred132

It's been awhile since I installed mine, I can't remember the brand offhand but I'll see if I can find a box or something. I installed all of mine on studs. I do remember buying little jackets to fit over the hangers to protect guitars with a nitro finish. I've seen a lot of nitro guitars get marks around the headstock from hangers.

All that said, I understand Hercules makes hangers that get along well with nitro.

Floyd Eye

I got a bunch of them from a music store that was closing. The ones they had on their walls. I ALWAYS find a stud. I know the anchors are rated for far more than the guitar's weight, but I only put them in studs. Not taking any chances.

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
That has been my experience. I've had several Gibsons that have been hanging on my Hercules hangers for about 5 years with no issues so far.
My wife made covers out of white cotton to cover my hangers.

ZeyerGTR

String Swing hangers, drilled into studs. Had them up for 15 years and no issues. I also nailed up an area rug on the wall behind them just so they don't bang into the wall accidentally.

Babaji

...Locate your studs. Mark center with a pencil. 2x4 studs are 1.5" wide with 1/2" an inch or 5/8" drywall on the face. They should be spaced 16" on center(not always true!). I located my studs and ran a hand selected(strait) stud across the wall, and used 3.5" deck screws to secure it to the wall. Now you can space your hangers according to your widest guitar and mount them to the stud. I recommend drilling your holes in the stud (for the wall mounting screws as well as the hanger screws). You can get fancy if you want(more decor if you like...Or someone else objects to a 2x4" going across the wall) by painting/staining it to match or attaching a better piece of wood to it's face. The options are numerous...Hang away!
Bill

Rayzaa

For those of you who hang your guitars on your wall, which hangers/mounts do you use? Also, did you go with drilling into a stud in your walls, or did you chance it with just drywall screws and anchors?
I dont have any hanging on my walls but i would never use those plastic anchors and a screw in the drywall to hang one up. I wont even use them to hang a picture.
I suppose if you never take them down they wont come loose but they are junk and just wouldnt take the chance. Especially hanging a Gibson and the neck snap issues.

zeffbeff

String Swing here.

I'll be one of the odd men out. I drilled right into the drywall and used anchors. I hang my Strat, Jazz Bass, and Les Paul.

I've had no issues after a year. I'll let you know if my house explodes into a nuclear fireball the way that others describe happens when you don't drill into the wall stud.

DarrellM5

I have two of the Diamond Life Gear hanging systems and they've been terrific. I have them anchored mostly into studs with a few bolts going into drywall. You can see a pic of one of them in my avatar. I've also been using them for a few years now and they've never caused any damage to an instrument. I have no worries hanging my nitro or other finished guitars on them.

Sadhaka

I have a string swing mounted into a stud but would be perfectly comfortable with most guitars into gyprock/drywall with two plugs. I have used them for pictures and whatnot and they are fantastic.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I use String Swings with their included drywall anchors. Each hanger is rated for like 50lbs shear loading. I’m comfortable that 2 are overkill. I lose more sleep worrying about a water leak dripping on a guitar than those hangers failing. And we get maybe 20 days of rain all year.

TheDropout

Thanks, those were the exact ones I was looking at. I've seen a few others for a bit cheaper, but I hate that the brand names were printed right on the wood. I also like the locking feature on these.
I just spray paint the wood so it matches up with the wall color

handtrix

Many types of anchors work well for installations in scenarios that require a specialty fastener.
I have used this system with much success when a stud is not where I need it. With strong support and with Zero blowouts, as it takes the form of the drywall with their wide thread design.
Since everyone has different drywall thickness, I prefer this to a drilled out hole, less slop than it needs to be in an area where there is no stud that requires strong support... After all there's a lot of money resting on the wall and this is where you need to make a sound decision. Less issues.

I like these and will track some down to try as they look like a 1-up with that backer.

looks good and has a high pound rating.

Trending Topics