Hank Marvin - Gilmour's biggest influence

Coldacre

I think I've underrated Hank Marvin.

of course he was the first guy to plug a Strat into a Vox, add echo and create a signature tone. but he got usurped by the British rock thing in the mid-60's and became irrelevant pretty quickly.

here is Hank playing a cover of Jean Michael Jarre's "Oxygen - part 4", a classic analog synth tune from the mid 70's. its uncanny how much of this sounds like Gilmour. he starts wailing about 2:45 in!

Average Joe

Yeah, Marvin was a seminal player for many of the 60s rock players. What I gathered from my grandmother's and mother's generation was that Cliff and the Shadows were a lot bigger than we tend to give them credit for in hindsight. They were also a lot more palatable to the older generation than those dirty hippies that came after them.

aroman

Gold Supporting Member
Michael Schenker talks about Hank Marvin (and Lesie West) as early influences.
I love this solo ! Starts at 1:32

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
It's amazing how big of an influence HM had on British rock guitarists. It runs the gamut
from Gilmour to Brain May to Richard Thompson & countless more in between. There's
a photo somewhere that I've seen that shows the cream of British rock guitar gods at
a gathering honoring Mr. Marvin. Amazing to behold. :cool:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
It's amazing how big of an influence HM had on British rock guitarists. It runs the gamut
from Gilmour to Brain May to Richard Thompson & countless more in between. There's
a photo somewhere that I've seen that shows the cream of British rock guitar gods at
a gathering honoring Mr. Marvin. :cool:
Indeed. Marvin is a seminal influence on more than one generation of UK guitarists.

Coldacre

Virtually every Brit guitarist has Hank Marvin on their influence list.
for someone who was recording music as early as 1958... it's amazing how many people are still trying to chase that tone 58 years later: Strat > Vox.

there's a pureness to it, that we're all trying to achieve

JRC4558Dude

Michael Schenker talks about Hank Marvin (and Lesie West) as early influences.
I love this solo ! Starts at 1:32

This video is from the "Final Tour" DVD.

If you dig Hank Marvin, that DVD is an absolute must have. Terrific songs, and flawless performances.

Spooky Action

Gilmour mentions Hank Marvin in every guitar-oriented interview, but it is really refreshing to hear it so clearly.
Gilmour's tremolo bar technique is just crazy-similar, but he needs to improve his choreographed hip/guitar swivel with the band.

Barquentine

Britain's first guitar hero and an inspiration to thousands of budding players. A friend used to work in music shops in the 60's and remembers the rich kids whose dads would buy them a Strat, an AC30 and a Copicat and bring it all back within a few days complaining that Junior didn't sound like Hank.

Trending Topics