Hao Sole Pessure vs Barber Barbeq / Barb eq / barb-eq

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Jan 23, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

The fisrt one simulates a Fender Bassman (I heve it, I like it but it's no true bypass and can get too bassy), the second shapes the sound as a Tweed/Balckface/Marshall would do (I don't have it so I g.a.s. ...ops I guess:roll)...Who's the winner in the fender league?

2. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

is there anybody OUT THERE?

3. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

the Sole Pressure isn't an overly popular pedal 'round here. Not lots positive or negative comments either way. Just not much coverage in general. I do know Kimock was quite happy with his a couple months back.

Anyways, had both, and they are just worlds apart.

I noticed the bassy quality of the SP as you mentioned, and almost always kept it on the bright setting. Very dynamic, not a lot of compression for an OD until the drive is cranked. I actually bought it hoping to get the same vibe as my '48 Supro cranked up. Close, but not really...

The BarbEq is a straight clean boost/EQ, no OD from the pedal at all. Also, there is a brightness present regardless of the settings (including killing all the treble). Maybe more like "presence" than "treble" frequencies. You can control the bass boost (unlike the SP). THe Fender settings have that charcteristic dip in the mids (including the tweed setting to a certain extent).

What are looking for them to do?

joe

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I use the SP to colour the tone of my amp not to overdrive it, I put it last in the chain and leave it on. It stacks very well with everithing I put before it and does not add any hiss...but it's not true bypass. I was wondering if the Barber BEQ might do the same (why not bettere) adding more flexibility, beiang able to add other amps flavout too. I know the Barber is designed to work with basic amps with one vol and one tone...Mine has a vol, gain, treb, bass, mid and I don't know if it would work well...

5. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

could work well for you then. I would say that if the two had anything in common, they color the tone quite significantly. I used both pedals with a variety of amps, from the Supro I mentioned, to a Dr. Z Maz Jr (full EQ compliment), and other borrowed amps. The character of each pedal dominates regardless of the amp's EQ

The BarbEq is true bypass if you do plan on switching it on and off. Leaving it on all the time won't matter obviously.

Regardless, I would say that the SP has an "unavoidable" bass boost, while the BarbEq has an unavoidable presence boost.

Lastly, I would also mention that the three modes of the BarbEQ do have differing output levels (from lowest output to high: BF, Tweed, Marshall). something else to consider.

maybe you can find a used one in the emporiums to try it out.

best
    joe

6. 57tele

57tele Member

7. HBob

HBob Member

I'm pretty sure all the HAO effects are true bypass. I checked five web sites that sell HAO and they say they're true bypass. I have the Sole Pressure, Rust Driver and Rust Booster. Pretty good stuff.

8. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Thnks for the usefull informations...I'll wait for a second hand, I'm just too courious...

9. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Good staff! Bu if you go for the SOLE PRESSUER don't put it first in the chain! It must be the last so it can relase that lovely bassy warm flavour...

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I think it's a great pedal, still a secret wapon till the crowd will discover it!
    I realy love it, lookon for something else only depends on the fact that I like to tray new solutions...

11. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I think it would work fine for you...

12. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

13. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I've tried the Sole Pressure twice, didn't keep either one very long...just too dark (even in the bright mode). I'm guessing it would work best with a Deluxe Reverb or Vox amp, something bright by nature. It did give me a nice '50s smokey jazz tone with my 335. There was a very fine line between it's bassman gritty tone and then fuzz city on the gain knob.

14. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I definitely agree...It needs a bright amp no other way! But in that case it can make a real difference inproving the bass in a fine way...

15. HBob

HBob Member

I put mine at the end of the line with other OD and distortion pedals. I think it sounds okay on its own, but run after almost any other dirt pedal I have it sounds great. The bass lightens up and it sounds very natural and tweedy. Picking dynamics are great too. Even after a compressor it sounds much better. Must be impedence or some other electronics thing I don't understand.

16. kimock

kimock Member

Amen. It likes the bright amp, abrupt transition to fuzz city.
    Re: sounds good with 335, I use mine mostly with my single coil stuff when I use it at all, not crazy about it with 'buckers.

Regarding the Barber vs Hao thing in general, I'm guessing that most folks would dig the Barber stuff more than the Hao if they were multi-pedal into an amp that maybe didn't have a suitable OD to begin with, and they needed that sound frequently.
    If you've already got an amp with a killin' OD, the Barber stuff might be redundant: it's that good. Very "natural amp" sound.
    So, probably a good choice for guys who sometimes find themselves in a "great amp, can't turn it up on this gig" situation.

For my own situation, I've got the amp OD covered to my satisfaction, and I write my own ticket volume wise, so the Hao is an occasional different flavor that I can't get from my amp. For single coils, as a stand alone pedal with a high end amp, it's a good choice for "different".

FWIW, all the Barber stuff I've heard sounds great. I don't use their products only because I can get pretty much the same thing from my amp.
    High praise for both pedals! Very different applications tho, right?

peace sk