Happy 36th Birthday Van Halen I

23 Fretz

A whole new style and sound of guitar playing was unleashed upon the world and guitar players all over were amazed.....still to this day, Van Halen I is regarded in many people's cd collection as a desert island disc, one you can't not have in your collection

Rick Lee

Got it right around the time it came out when I was in 2nd grade. Until then I only had Kiss albums in my collection.

Heinz57Pep

Got it right around the time it came out when I was in 2nd grade. Until then I only had Kiss albums in my collection.
I didn't get on the VH train until a year later with VHII. That and Highway to Hell got me off the Kiss train.

Seismic stuff.

V-Type

I remember in 78 my cousin bought a new album I had too cover right over and listen too.
I get there and he says Van Halen will blow you away.
I though he said Van Morrison and said are F'n crazy.
He put the needle down on Eruption amd Honestly Myself and millions of others have never been the same since.
VH I is probably the most important Rock guitar album of the modern era.

Igneous

Silver Supporting Member
My experience:
I boarded a bus and my friend had a walkman on and let me listen. I was blown away with Running with the devil! Changed my life.

MKB

I distinctly remember hearing VH1 after just starting to play guitar. Man, did that record change things... Eruption sounded like something from outer space. It's so funny how at the time it seemed otherworldly, but now you hear lots of players playing it. In the mid-late eighties every long haired first year guitar student could play it, some of them even played it well.

Much agreed it was the most important rock guitar album of the modern era. Maybe the last important one, as far as changing everything that came after it.

Van Halen... with Ed on guitar, Alex on drums, Mike on astounding BGV and Dave, the best frontman of the eighties at the helm. Good grief, what a wonderful time to be a kid and have music like this on pop radio.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I remember in 78 my cousin bought a new album I had too cover right over and listen too.
He put the needle down on Eruption amd Honestly Myself and millions of others have never been the same since.
Yep. I'd wager more electric guitar players picked up the guitar because of that record than any other single album.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
VH I was a game changer, IMO.
Myself, like millions of other young guitarists…well, I just hung my head, and said I'd never get to that level. Eddie was still one of my idols then, despite the fact that he kicked my ass for years to come!

:)

S.
j

Misterbulbous

My uncle bought for me about 15 minutes after we heard Running with the Devil on the radio. I was 11 and living with my grandparents. My grandma liked Jamies Crying. She always sung "babies crying" though.

Misterbulbous

Modern era = 36 years ago. Eddie looked so dark and sinister on that album cover. The picture captures him perfectly.

Heinz57Pep

VH I was a game changer, IMO.
Myself, like millions of other young guitarists…well, I just hung my head, and said I'd never get to that level.
Hahahaha yes. For me that realization came years later when a few minutes into trying to learn the "Push Comes to Shove" solo form a Star Licks cassette, it became obvious to me that even if I were to woodshed long enough to get the notes down, I would never be able to cop the phrasing and other nuances. So in that roundabout way, EVH inspired me to do my own thing, for better or worse.

Misterbulbous

Hahahaha yes. For me that realization came years later when a few minutes into trying to learn the "Push Comes to Shove" solo form a Star Licks cassette, it became obvious to me that even if I were to woodshed long enough to get the notes down, I would never be able to cop the phrasing and other nuances. So in that roundabout way, EVH inspired me to do my own thing, for better or worse.
I had that same cassette. Weird. It was like 4 second phrases from various solos.

Defendant

I first came to VH in the Hagar era, so worked back to the Roth stuff.

Heard some great stories from older players who heard it in '78. Real alien landing stuff.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i would have been in around 8th grade when this came out...didn't hear it until i was college really, had a cassette of it my soph year...
you know, honestly i probably didn't appreciate this album until about 10 years ago....i'm always late to the game on things....it takes me time, i'm slow....it's a great album....

Trending Topics