Happy birthday U.S.A.F.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Peppy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

Salute to my Dad, USAF vet!

2. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

9 years here, all enlisted. Tinker, Yokota, Mather/McClellan and Travis. Great experience.

Went in after going to college to play ball, getting hurt and coming home to my dad telling me I had to make some life choices, the military being one of those. Changed my life for sure. Learned my trade, got my degree, met my wife and got to experience a lot.

Chose the USAF because my uncle did 38 years active and reserve and retired as an O-8.

Wolfboy1, QRSS, Peppy and 2 others like this.
  3. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Very small world, my mom lived in Woodbridge and met my Dad when he was stationed there, flying F-100s.

My father’s USAF career, including his time flying combat and official reports from the Search & Rescue efforts.
    Sad to read, from the SAR folks, “we figured the enemy captured him or sharks got him...”
    http://34tfsthuds.us/resources/Pictures/A-F/Beresik_Eugene_P.pdf

Drew816 and Wolfboy1 like this.
  4. Peppy

Peppy Member

67blackcherry likes this.
  5. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

I'm a USAF vet (84-88)...after tech schools (Keesler AFB, Miss. and Fort Meade, MD) I spent my whole tour at Iraklion, A.S. Crete, Greece.

It was a great time of life for me. Plus we did important stuff...

67blackcherry, Drew816, Peppy and 2 others like this.
  6. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

USAF 1981-2002. Can't believe I've been retired this long.

Drew816 and Peppy like this.
  7. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I flew some TS stuff out of Iraklion for the Navy and Joint Chiefs, cool place.

My Dad was enlisted Air Force during the Korean war. He was a "Scope Dope" or radar operator stationed primarily at Otis AFB. He would scramble fighters to intercept unknown aircraft among other things. And yes, before anyone asks, he had some very suspicious UFO incidents during his time.

67blackcherry, Drew816, Peppy and 2 others like this.
  8. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

^ it was a great place.

You probably flew out of the Greek airport...as an Air Station, we had no airstrip.

we were told we could tell the tourist girls anything we wanted about what we did as long as it wasn't true...we had lots of "pilots" and stuff!

9. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Was your father in the 34th? We're heading to the funeral of one of our long term family friends, Col David Burney at Arlington here soon; he flew in the 34th as well out of Korat. And one of his old Nellis squadron's will be doing a missing man formation over ANC, which is extremely rare nowadays. He was one of the father's of Red Flag.

If you look in your PDF above you'll see Burney listed on 26 Apr 67, Crew Charlie.

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/34433

2 Silver Stars, 3 DFCs during his tour, man there were a lot of losses in that squadron; it didn't get any tougher.

10. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Yes, my father first flew with the 44th upon his arrival at Korat; they were transitioned to a Wild Weasel squadron soon after and then he was transferred to the 34th.
    Jan - May 1968 and yes, quite a few losses in that squadron.
    Mom, my brother and I recently attended the final 34th Reunion this past June, but I don’t recall meeting Col. Burney.

11. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

He actually passed away last August. It's taken this long to get him moved to Arlington. :eek: :(

Not sure how involved he was or might have been with the 34th reunions; I don't even see him listed or mentioned on their website so...

12. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Extreme gratitude here! Never met one but saw them in action, VERY close quarters. Those guys were awesome.

13. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member