Happy/Unhappy with Strat PUP Upgrade(s)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tocs100, Jun 15, 2006.

Strat PUP Upgrade(s)?

1. Happy (describe upgrade)

2. Unhappy (describe upgrade), and re-installed stock PUPs

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Also, anyone try the Carvin assembled pickguard, with switch for positions 1+ 5? (Only $104.) :messedup

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

'96 Buddy Guy Two tone Sig. American Strat. Original Lace Sensors, upgraded to Custom Shop Fat 50's. Huge difference! Fat, warm and actually grinding with the Mid Boost dialed up a bit! All of my strats have FAT 50's I love 'em. No they're not noiseless like Lace Sensors but the tone is much better IMHO.

2000 MIM Fender FAT Strat with Floyd Rose. Original Fender Standard Middle, Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails Neck, Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in Bridge. I liked the neck position, the JB was still a little too thin for what I was hoping for- but still crunched up nicely. I'm thinking the SD 59 would have given me a little more of that chunky bottom that I was looking for. But overall stil sounded decent- In the neck position, (Pos. 5) Silent, but not as Strat sounding. This was a cheapo guitar so it was really my "wankarama" guitar.

3. drolling

drolling Member

I finally got a Strat back in '93 - a 50s style MIJ that actually sounded pretty good, but I thought I could do a bit better, so I sent off for some Fralin vintage hots (w/base plate on bridge p-up) as he was one of the only choices back in those days, beside Duncan & Dimarzio.

The install was a breeze, and I'm none to handy w/a soldering iron. The pickups were everything I'd hoped they'd be & the steel plate greatly improved the tone & output of the bridge pickup. I haven't ever considered changing these p-ups since, altho I did replace some hardware recently w/Callaham parts - again, a phenomenal imrovement on an already great guitar.

When taking the neck off a few years back, I noted "ST-54" stamped on the heel. A little research revealed that these MIJs have alder bodies, unlike most of the basswood strats they made for export at the time.

Someone here recently told me that the ST-54s also came w/US made Texas Specials and were considered to be one of the most desirable Japanese models.

Even so, the Fralins were an improvement - more chime & detail, and more 'cluck' in pos. 2 & 4. With the upgrades, I'd put this strat up against any MIA RI, maybe even a real vintage strat. Love the guitar!

4. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Thanks drolling, I just looked at the Fralin website. I'm somewhat unclear on how the Blender pot works. Midde knob is master tone, bottom knob becomes volume for 1+5, original volume controls middle pick-up only, when in pos 1+5? Looks pretty rad.

5. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

Went through EMG DG-20s. They were nice but sort of a 1 trick pony to me. Moved on to Kinman Woodstocks:nice but not quite there. Couple of years ago I put in a set of Custom Shop 69s and I've been happy ever since. Run them with Pure Nickel wound strings and they float my boat.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have left my 2005 Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat alone as I really like the sounds and the S1 options. I have no desire to try any different pups in it. I do plan to get a less expensive Strat some day down the road and will experiment with it...but until then, no.

Oh as a reference, it has the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless.

7. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Weekend bump-a-roo.:AOK

8. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I had a Seymour Duncan JB Jr installed in the bridge position on my 89 Strat with a push/pull knob. I was looking for a little more drive, and I'm pretty happy overall especially in the #2 position. But I now want to replace the other stock pups, so I'm waiting for delivery of a set of Lollar Blackface pickups.( should arrive Monday!) I also have a 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat w/ S-1 switching. I personally don't really like the tone of the stock pups, I find it a bit muddied.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

my custom strat came with Duncan Antiquities which are nice and fat...they are fine for soloing but they do lack articulation and a bit of expressiveness due to their overwound and somewhat darker compressed nature...where I couldn't stand them was when playing rhythm where they tended to disappear from the mix and sounded muddy and 2D...

after shooting a bunch of pus I ended up with the Lollar Tweeds which are perfect for my needs...I wanted my strat to be thinner and glassy/shimery...the Tweeds are perfect for funk and RnB rhythm and nice and articulate for Blues...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Perfectly happy with my EMG VG20 set in a modified Jimmie Vaughan sig Strat.

11. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

I have a love for the MIJ 80's and 90's Strats.I had a set of Suhrs V60's and CTS pots put in, I love it, great guitar!I have a second MIJ Strat and its gonna get the same treatment:RoCkIn

12. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I installed Kinman Trad IIs on a Mark Knopfler strat and I am happy with those. I had EMG DGs in a 62 RI and have since put back the originals along with the Suhr noise reduction system.

13. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

1990 highly tweaked (hardware and electronics) American Standard - maple/alder - went from Texas Specials to Kinman AVN Blues - night and day type difference. Kinmans are great in this guitar.

1994 MIJ 62RI - stock to Lollars. Need I say more? The Lollar blackface set is unreal.

14. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I have a 50 RI w' maple neck the came w' Texas Specials, very thumping PUP'S and a 50 Anniversary american Deluxe w' S1 switch SCN hated them, so ,I installed bluesVintage plus Vand zandt on both and I loved them.:)

15. Luke V

Luke V Member

Love the Fralin SP43 in the treble position. My 2 main Strats each have one. I left the stock mid and neck pickup in my EJ. I seem to be in the minority here, I really like Texas Specials. I have them in 2 of my Strats, though one has an Sp43 in the treble position.

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

With the blender pot, you still have master volume as usual but in pos. 1 you can blend in the rhythm pickup, in position 5 you can blend in the treble pickup and in positions 2 and 4 you can blend treble or rhythm pickup and combine all 3 pickups. I really like the blend of of 1 and 5.

17. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I have an early 90's Strat Ultra, that has been my main guitar until this year. It came with lace sensors. Blue, Gold, Red dually. I added a Gold in the neck and it improved the tone. I was playing through a rack system, and while it worked fine in that context, straight into an amp is not as good.

BTW, I'm currently researching other noiseless pickups. DiMarzio, Suhr, Duncan, etc.

Any opinions would be appreciated. The body is Alder with flamed maple.

18. tocs100

tocs100 Member

19. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I detest Carvin's pickups; however, their prices are really nice.

20. jtindle

jtindle Member

I upgraded my cheap MIM strat with WCR SC pups and absolutely love the tone from it. I'm using it now more than my '58 Historic LP and my USA Tele with Harmonic Design Vintage + and Super 90 pups.

Jeff