Happy with Line 6 DL-4 Delay, but need MIDI control and lots more patches...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JacieFB, Feb 7, 2012.

1. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

I'm in a project that is heavily dependent on a very controlled, very present, very good-sounding delay (think U2, etc). Here are the particulars that I need:

I want to be able to set up as many as 25 to 50 different presets and trigger them via my Voodoo Lab GCX (build them into my Patches on the controller).

I would likely set the patches up based on pre-determined BPM for the songs we do, but would like to have the ability to tap the tempo should I need to.

I'm currently running a stereo rack rig. I'd like the delay to have stereo capability for some and maybe all the delays.

What do you guys recommend?

2. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

You sound like the man the Timeline was designed for.

3. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

the Line 6 M9 would also be an option, with the added bonus of being able to run up to 3 delays at once, or any other sound you might possibly need

4. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

I think you are correct. Much less real estate on the pedal board, too. Seems like it sounds great, too.

Pre-order today. Argh. Want it now! :bonk

5. oakst8

oakst8 Member

Isn't the Timefactor up to about 100 presets with the latest software?

I had the same dilemma as the OP and went with a Timefactor (there was no Timeline way back then in 2010). I love it.

6. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Sounds like a TimeLine is in your future...

7. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

Not seeing a MIDI in/out. Is there a way to control it with my MIDI switcher?

8. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Yes. The Timefactor fits the bill, and is an AWESOME delay. It has MIDI in/out on the right side of the pedal, no worries there.

FWIW, I sold my Timeline and went back to the Timefactor... and I love myself for doing it!! Don't get me wrong, I still have an El Cap and BSR on my board (the Timeline dTape algorithm has half the mojo the El Cap does, P.S.), but the Timefactor is easier to dial in settings, has dual delay capability for EVERY delay you program, and surprisingly, you can get some crazy sounds with the Filterpong and Band Delay algorithms.

Oh, and you can score one used for $300!!! That's 2/3 the price of the Timeline :aok

9. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Timefactor, Timeline, M9, M13. But If you have a GCX, you should look into rack units. The Line Echo Pro, TC D2, Eventide Eclipse. Or the granddaddy, the TC 2290. Expect to pay over 1k for that though.

10. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

Line 6 M9 or Echo Pro should do if you are happy with the DL-4 sounds.

11. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Any thoughts on which is easiest to program? Looks like the pedal units are going to be what I am most used to, which is cool, so long as I'm not missing out on some super features in the rack units.

I do like the idea of freeing up space on my pedal board. The green monster takes up a lot of room and it would be stellar to get some of that back.

What about putting it between preamps and power amps versus out front?