• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hard disk/External display for Macbook

j_m_s

Hey guys. Some questions here.

I'm looking to upgrade my mac's harddisk to either 320gb or 500gb.

I will need it at 7200rpm. So far I've looked at Seagate's offerings and they seem to be pretty decent. Has anyone tried other brands? Anyone has anything else to recommend?

Also, I will be purchasing an External display to run my macbook "closed-lid". Im looking at a 32" screen. Will be using it for photo editing, video editing, work and my recording programs and etc. Would also like to use it for game consoles/TV.

Any brands to recommend?

ps, im not sure if this belongs there or in the sound hound lounge or the pub!

Thanks in advance.

James

Jerry

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a drive from these guys a few years ago. It works great, whereas a LaCie designed by Porsche drive that I bought elsewhere works but gives me weird messages when I hit save when I'm recording. The save works, but it's not too reassuring when you're in the heat of the moment and you get a message on the screen that you're not expecting. I'm using a 1.67ghz powerbook/MOTU 828mkII and DP4.65.

http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives.asp

codenoise

My hard drive just crashed so I took it as a sign to upgrade and got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

I just installed it last night and so far so good. Lots of people buying it for their macbooks. It's wonderful to be able to reinstall all my music software and have more than 16gb left over. Will probably pick up a 500gb or larger 5400rpm as my back up drive in the future.

I'm in the market for an external display as well but haven't picked one out yet. Make sure it supports 1920x1200 as that's the largest resolution the macbooks can output.

My hard drive just crashed so I took it as a sign to upgrade and got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

I just installed it last night and so far so good. Lots of people buying it for their macbooks. It's wonderful to be able to reinstall all my music software and have more than 16gb left over. Will probably pick up a 500gb or larger 5400rpm as my back up drive in the future.

I'm in the market for an external display as well but haven't picked one out yet. Make sure it supports 1920x1200 as that's the largest resolution the macbooks can output.
I may get the same one for my Macbook Pro. Only concern I have is the amount of noise it generates. Read those reviews on that site and tell me what you think.

supernosher

I have a Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM in my DELL, and it's not noticeably louder than my girlfriend's 5400 RPM drive in hers, which is THE SAME MODEL laptop.

supernosher

I bought a drive from these guys a few years ago. It works great, whereas a LaCie designed by Porsche drive that I bought elsewhere works but gives me weird messages when I hit save when I'm recording. The save works, but it's not too reassuring when you're in the heat of the moment and you get a message on the screen that you're not expecting. I'm using a 1.67ghz powerbook/MOTU 828mkII and DP4.65.

http://www.pacificproaudio.com/drives.asp
The OP said external monitor, not external HD.

j_m_s

haha. its alright guys. thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm leaning more to a seagate momentus 7200rpm 500gb or 320gb hard disk.

Any recommendations for the screen?

Thanks,
james

j_m_s

Thanks, you are? haha.

I picked up a Panasonic 32" tv over the weekend during an IT Fair here in Singapore. Will be heading down to the IT shops next week to pick up my seagate hard disk.

j_m_s

darn tv isnt here yet.

Picked up a 320gb toshiba hard disk. Should I partition it? What are the benefits or partitioning it?

j_m_s

I tried booting from the ext HDD(my new hard disk [placed into an external casing to try booting form it). it works, but when i open say. Football manager 2008 with booting up from the hard disk , the screen goes dark. and then to get it bright again i have to decrease the darkness then increase(just increasing doesn't help)

when i boot from the ext hdd the screen does this too. is it something to do with high memory applications?

Trending Topics