hard drive "disappears"...yikes!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gerry, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Hello, got a new PC set up with Windows XP, with 2 hard drives, C and E, storing audio and some drum programs on E. Cubase SX3.
    Well, the boot-up is getting buggy, requires some control-alt-deletes, and the E drive doesn't show up anymore.
    System Restore didn't help, as there was no prior date available to restore from.
    Never hooked it up to the web, so no viruses.

What happened?
    I'll talk with Tech support monday, but I'd appreciate if someone has some ideas on....what happened
    :confused: ! thanks .

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

If your E drive is over 137GB then you need to adjust things in XP in order to have it acknowledge the drive's presence, as XP won't recognize drives over 137 gigs. I'm not sure exactly how make the change in XP, but I do know that Seagate has a drive install/setup program that makes the change in XP for you. My audio drive (D...) wasn't recognized at first either, and I didn't know why... :) I believe it is a change in the registry or something....don't know why 137 gigs is the cutoff point...

david

3. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Thanks. Drive E is/"was" 200 gigs, and I did have to replace a damaged CPU and motherboard from shipping, so most likely it IS a registry-based foul up.
    I'll post back after I talk with the audio DAW guys who put it together.....I am not competent enough to descend into the 'registry' matrix :eek: .

4. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Well, I went back and checked, rejiggled my motherboard connections....and now it works fine!

And people say TUBE amps are "unreliable" :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

5. dehughes

dehughes Member

Good deal; glad that it is working. My wife had the best description of computers when she said that "they are like a cruel harlot".... Oh my, so true. :)

david