Hard rock amp with great cleans for $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by msh1283, Jan 31, 2008.

1. msh1283

msh1283 Member

Looking for really a really full clean sound that isn't too bright. I tend to like a bit darker clean sound.

Don't care if the gain comes from the amp or if I'd need to get some pedals to get there. I'm not 100% sure what kind of distorted sounds I really want, so I'm pretty open on that side. I don't need really high gain or anything

Head or combo...don't really care, as long as it's not a 410 or something like that.

Any suggestions?

2. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

What kind of music do you play? That would us help stear you in the right direction.

I just put up for sale my Voodooamps Deluxe Mod Marshall DSL 100 up for exactly $1,000 (+ shipping).

Cleans on the DSL were better than most Marshall's and this one is even better with the Deluxe mod. I found myself staying the clean channel as I got into pedals more for boosts and hard rock sounds. Dirty Channel is all Marshall roar.

Lots of options out there...Maybe a Budda SD18 II? I think it's a bit more than $1,000, unless you get it on the secondary.

Let me know if you want more info on my DSL.

3. marinblues

marinblues Member

I don't know how much they go for in the US, but you can check out the Koch amps.

4. coxswain

coxswain Member

The Koch amps have fantastic cleans and gains. You can find the Twintone I 50 watt 1x12 combo for under a 1000 bucks used.

I would also check out the Mesa 2:25 express as well as the 2:50 express. The clean channels on those amps are modeled after the lonestar. They sound awesome!

Chase

5. rocketman223

rocketman223 Member

A little more than a grand but check out the clips of the Bray modded JTM 45 here.

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

If you want to go the pedal route try and find a used Dr. Z KT45.

If you want a two channel amp go with a Budda Superdrive 18. Not a ton of clean headroom but it has plenty for me and the dirty channel will do almost any color of dirt you need.

7. tak

tak Member

Used Egnater/Rocktron TOL?

8. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Carvin Legacy, killer cleans and smooth OD.

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

+1

It's more that 1k, but you could probably swing a used one if you are patient. Heck...as long as you are being patient, save up a few more hundred and get in new. Then you'll have Budda'swarranty and customer service in your corner...and that is worth a few hundred right there. They are top notch all the way.

A

10. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Budda Superdrive II 18

Perfect choice!

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Mesa Express 5:50.
    It's a little over your budget, but the cleans are thick and rich, very Twin Reverb like and the dirty sound is a lot of fun.

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

Marshall DSL-50.

Loudboy

13. CAC

CAC Member

I just bought a Budda Superdrive 18 combo off Ebay for a little over $800. Great, great amp. I also love the clips of that Bray modded JTM 45 though! I would love to try one of those out sometime.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Carvin Legacy would be a good choice for an inexpensive amp. You can get them cheap too.

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Rivera Fandango.... super versatile, killer cleans and roaring gain side, old school hot rod marshall type. + boosts on each channel, tons of versatility. You're probably looking at a used one, I got mine here for 1K and sold it for 1k (too big for my needs, but can do the bedroom to the stage easy).

16. bilbal

bilbal Member

Used Dr. Z Route 66 or Maz series and a used Zendrive or a Fender Twin Reverb and a used Zendrive. You can't go wrong with any of the three and a Zendrive - I promise!!!

b

17. bilbal

bilbal Member

+1 on the Budda too. I tried one at the Daddy's Junkie Music across the street from Berklee in Boston about 4 months ago and it was sweet, sweet, sweet!!!

great amps,
    b

18. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

If you buy good used, for under $1000 you can get a Randall RM 100. Its all tube, has three channels of removable/swapable modules, can be biased without taking it to a tech, can run EL-34 or 6L6 tubes or a combination of both, has series loop, parrallel loop. Its a good amp for the money and capable of many different cleans or distortions depending on which module you put in it. And the modules take a few seconds to swap too. Oh, almost forgot the Egnater modules are fully interchangeable with the Randall :)

19. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

20. drawrein

drawrein Member

A darker clean with lot of overdrive available spells B O O G I E to my ears. Lots of good used ones.

D