Hard tail strat bridges? Converting from vintage trem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Wheelbarrow, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

Is it possible to convert a 6 screw vintage trem bridge into a hardtail with a new bridge replacement? Or is blocking the tremolo the only option?

2. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I've seen a replacement that covers the cavity and associated screw holes for a 6-screw trem. It's top-loading, but the unit in general is just crap, IMO.

Easiest and best to block the trem with a piece of hardwood. It will get you about 64% to hardtail tone.

OTOH, if you like Telecaster bridges, you could probably get one of those done up as a top-loader by a boutique parts supplier to fit properly on a Strat.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

all you have to do is add springs and crank the claw down tight. that's it.

4. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

See, the thing is, this is on a basswood guitar that I set on fire and sandblasted, so the wood's getting kind of soft and stuff... but I really love this guitar. It's one of those OLP copies of the ernie ball axis guitars. It plays great, but it's slowly starting to fall apart. I'll figure out how to save it somehow.

5. GDking

GDking Member

I read once about a guy who used to set stuff on fire then sandblast things he loved, and then saved them until they fell apart.

Put this guitar under the floorboards where it belongs and then get help.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

"Real" hardtails are strung through the body and have ferrules on the back, like a Tele does.

If it's already got a trem bridge, Walter's right (which is common for him (GRIN)). Crank it down, or block it.

Dana O.