Hard tail strat love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrJamie, Jun 19, 2006.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Why do I want one? Because I've never owned one? I've got a great MM Albert Lee hard tail, P-90s, a couple great Teles. Is a strat a strat without the trem? I'm not Robert Cray. Help.

2. afm409

afm409 Member

Haven't had anyone come up to me and tell me mine isn't. From a purist point of view?...

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

All the strats I've owned have been wammy bar models. I currently have one that I want to get rid of because I never play it. I've gone back to tele's.

If (when) I buy another, it'll likely be a hardtail. At least, that's how I feel now.

Yes, it's still a strat. Leo offered them a long time ago and R. Cray has as much strat tone as anyone else.

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Of course both are strats. I like the trem to add a slight vocal quality to a chord that is sustained, but I think I'd like to eliminate the "give", from bending strings, pulling on the trem. I know I can lock the trem down to the body. Any tonal differences anybody has observed?

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've only played a few hardtails and they were older so my observations might not be spot on but I found them to be a little throatyer and my assumption is that it's more wood and less metal that gave it those tonal qualities. Personally I like the floating trem. The right ones are still very resonant and I have no complaints...but then again it's no secret I'm in love with Strats. lol

6. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Yeah you can get a strat sound out of a hardtail. but if you're playing a lot of clean jimi or srv style you'll notice the lack of a good trem. strats get some of their pingy tone because of the trem block

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I've got a MIM Robert Cray Hardtail.

It is a very stratty strat. Best quack in 2 & 4 of any of my strats, I think.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I had a rare Fender CS relic hardtail. Amazing guitar. If it had a fatter neck, I'd still own it. And yes, it was very 'stratty' and resonant.

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

"stratty" but not exactly. i mean, there's a huge difference between trem strats with zinc blocks and trem strats with good steel or titanium blocks. to think a strat with no block and string-through would sound like a trem strat (the strats we've heard on all the recordings over the years) is a bit of a stretch. i bet its pretty close though.

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

There is not a big difference. If you don't like the give in a trem-equipped Strat, it is a simple fix. And yes, I have owned dozens, several of which were hardtails.

11. mojojojo

mojojojo Member

All of my guitars are hard tails. I've been playing for 30 years and prefer the tuning stability of hard tails. I hope that makes sense. I'm not the greatest wordsmith.

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had a really nice black 2004 hardtail Strat. I wish I could've afforded to keep it. I thought it played great.

13. VanStone

VanStone Member

I think the tonal variance is minimal - a hardtail strat is still unmistakably a strat.

V

14. James

James Member

Oh gosh, I love hardtail Strats. If I could find one with a 7/8th sized body which still had that vintage Strat look, I'd be all over it like a cheap suit!!

:rotflmao

:RoCkIn

15. matte

matte Senior Member

back in the early "90s, i had a "54 ht. that guitar rocked.

16. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

[​IMG]62 100% gennie custom color hardtail, sweet with awesome sustain!:RoCkIn

17. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I used to have a Princeton just like that Blackface with the white knobs.

18. GM1

GM1 Member

I have a 56 Hard Tail that is one of the best Strats I've ever owned. It has been thru a lot I had to have the bridge pup replaced. It has been worked on by Scott Lentz, he put one of his Alnico II pups in the bridge. Hard Tails are lighter than trem models, and sound a bit more like a Tele.

19. arriba

arriba Member

+1, and they have more sustain!
    Here the one, Scott Lentz built for me.

[​IMG]

20. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i got a matching pair![​IMG]