Hard to Choose Martin D28 1974 or 2006

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Strat58, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi i can buy 2 Martins one from 1974 with neck set for 1750 euro and a other one from 2006 wich is 1200 euro. I realy like the D28 but are the new ones as good as the were in the 70 thies or early.
    So is there any kind soul wich can tell me about teh quality of the new Martins ? Thxx you.
    Peace Strat58

2. uncletele

uncletele Member

I have two newer Martins; an 2005 OMC-28M Laurence Juber, and a 2003 D-18 Golden Era. Both are great, and are high quality models. I owned a 1967 D-28 for years until it was stolen, and the quality of the new ones is as good if not better. Martin is experiencing a new golden age of luthiery, IMHO. I realize my models are higher end, but I've played standard D-18 and D-28 models and they are very good too.
    The '70's Martins are considered a low point in their history, due primarily to the use of Indian rosewood as opposed to Brazilian, and the change to rosewood bridgeplates which many feel dulls the tone. Before I would buy a '70's D-28, I'd make sure it has a maple bridgeplate.

3. texasdave

texasdave Member

to overgeneralize, the 70s Martins are considered "average" on most counts. I'd probably probably have a hard time with either one without playing first, but the 2006 should be easy enough to get your money back out of if you don't love it...

4. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Newer is better in my opinion, esp from the 70s martins. But really go with the sound.

5. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

I own 2 newer (2006 and 2007) Martins (D18V and HD28) and they are great guitars.

6. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Heads up-The 70's had the bridge plate incorrectly installed. It will need to be redone if it wasn't already with the neck reset.

7. Strat58

Strat58 Member

hi thxx you all I think I better try the 2006 its more money safe if I don't like it.
    Peace Strat58

8. go7

go7 Member

Just got a Standard series 000 28 made in 05. While this is not one of Martin`s top line I was very pleased with all aspects of the guitar. Very well suited to finger style.Excellent wood and build quality,very light weight wise.Good luck!

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Not to hijack Strat58's thread, but how is the action on your 000-28? I've been thinking of buying one of these (or a 000-18, or trying to find a 000-28H...).

Is it a good strummer? I know it won't compete with a D-28 in terms of volume, bass and punch, but is it pretty versatile?

Thanks!
    - jeff -

10. go7

go7 Member

Suited more to finger players,can be overdriven. On the upside; This is a guitar you could fall deeply in love with.Excellent balance,the shorter scale is awesome for blues etc.Easy to play.Stays in tune and has a wonderful tone abeit not as loud as D series.Very comfortable to play. The trade off is volume for expressiveness. Has a unique sweetness,sustain is excellent.Can easily be a strummer as long as you don`t beat on it. Sweet modified V neck is my fav.Hope this helps.

11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

For the equilalent of $2747.32 US dollars you could have a whole lot more than just a D 28. You are about $400 short of a new D28 marquis.
    Go to this website. He sells any new one you want for 60%-65% of the list price.

http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com - even ships overseas

12. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

It has helped! Thanks. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't consider myself a fingerstyle player or strummer exclusively and volume is not an issue.

Strat58: good luck on finding a nice Martin!

13. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi people I have bought a 1974 D28 some months ago and I truly love it, I am playing it much more acoustic now then before, it sings its has nice high tones and man what a tone. I have a very nice sounding 1974 D18 and together they make a great team, the D18 for bluesy stuff and the D28 for Eagles and other acoustic songs. Was teaching Wish You Were Here to a student and man its just sounds so good its like hearing the guitarparts live in the room (its the same sound same clearity).
    I am happy very happy and blessed to found that gem :) Thxx you for al your advice.
    Peace Strat58