• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

“Hard to Handle:The Life and Death of the Black Crowes” by Steve Gorman

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Does he reveal why Jimmy Page walked off the tour - he admitted one of the brothers basically pissed Jimmy off on a Jay Mohr podcast years ago but didn’t go into detail at the time..... I’ve been waiting for the inside skinny ever since. There’s a story there for sure.
Rich declined an offer from Page to work together on what would become Lions, without consulting the rest of the band. I see the obvious value in having Page involved. Speaking as someone that would’ve eaten up whatever they spit out, I don’t think Rich was wrong to turn him down from an artistic standpoint.
I’m going purely by memory here, but I kind of recall it had something to do with Rich being newly sober at the time, and Jimmy being a bit of a drinker during that tour... maybe Rich didn’t like the distraction? Jimmy was eventually off the sauce by ‘07 I believe.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I’m going purely by memory here, but I kind of recall it had something to do with Rich being newly sober at the time, and Jimmy being a bit of a drinker during that tour... maybe Rich didn’t like the distraction? Jimmy was eventually off the sauce by ‘07 I believe.
I was under the impression Rich had always been sober.

Reactions: PdL

Gig Young

- The McLean Stevenson of guitar -
Thanks, Haynes is a true veteran & survivor, has great insight.
Lyrics-
A prima donna with a premonition feels like he's preachin' to the choir
A superstar filled with superstition can't pull himself out of the mire
All you ever dreamed of is finally in your reach but careful what you wish for
If you don't practice what you preach
The circus came to town, I guess it must have stayed
It's like an endless parade
All these people you can see through like ghosts, maybe you've seen too much
Nothing's real, nothing you can feel, no one you can touch
Strangers stare in silence, they think they know your mind
No place to jump off, that's the way the game's designed
Another new day dawns, another sunset fades
It's like an endless parade
Music, music and more music imploding inside your brain
The life that you have chosen did it finally drive you insane
Psychopathic tirades fill your head with ammunition
Sights set on your enemies but you keep losing your position
Reluctantly you face the day try to get your gameface on
What used to be a fantasy has now become a marathon
Every heart you ever broke, all the people you've betrayed
Another new day dawns
Another sunset fades
Yeah, the circus came to town, I guess it must have stayed
It's like an endless parade.
---------
Btw, in his recent GP interview, the usual final question about advice to aspiring musicians, Haynes was quite stark & sober, saying in effect, if you choose music as a career you better be willing to essentially give everything else up, because you will have to.

That is really really good
Thank you for sharing

Dasein

This only half redeems Rich....

goddot

The best period and guitarist (Jeff).. everything that came after those first two albums was boring from a rock standpoint.. for me anyway

louderock

Got to know Johnny Colt in the late 90’s. Great guy and he said “yeah we were a nightmare in the early 90’s”. Met Steve once and he was super cool. I have a few friends that were trying to start a music project w Chris some time ago. They had nothing good to say. Think “Massengill”. I was at the Atlanta show around ‘92 when they opened for ZZ Top. The tour was sponsored by Miller Lite. Chris said “this part of the show is brought to you by the Black Crowes and not some beer company.” - which strangely enough turned out to be their last night on that tour.

I read an interview where Chris said he took the tapes from Southern Harmony (which was recorded at the studio I used to work at) and remixed the record in one night with another engineer. Chris is a LIAR. Be thankful George and Brendan put up with your bullsh*t and gave you a career.

Too bad these guys are the way they are. Made some great records. All of us from Atlanta were proud.

stevenymets

Read the book, it tells you exactly what happened, and no, it had nothing to do with drinking between Page and Rich, and yes, at least from the book, it appears Rich was never a user of drugs and not a heavy drinker.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I've listened to about half of it now. The Robinsons don't sound like fun guys to be in a band with. The manager comes off as a good guy though.

stevenymets

The tour was sponsored by Miller Lite. Chris said “this part of the show is brought to you by the Black Crowes and not some beer company.” - which strangely enough turned out to be their last night on that tour.
This was on purpose, they were trying to get kicked off the tour, it was Pete Angelus’ idea, and yes, Chris seems like a total sh!+.

louderock

This was on purpose, they were trying to get kicked off the tour, it was Pete Angelus’ idea, and yes, Chris seems like a total sh!+.
Yeah I figured as much. They were starting to break Big there plus they were on RockLine with Bob Coburn that night. Good press.

Pete tried to strong arm Mike Clark at Southern Tracks saying “I’m gonna let your studio record the next BC album...” and wanted the studio for a super cheap price. Mike let him know that a SSL console and vintage Neunann mics cost just as much in Atlanta as it does in LA so he’s not giving the studio away. Brendan and George wanted to be there along with the band so too bad Pete. Go be a hot shot somewhere else.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I saw the TBC live in Melbourne at The Palais (3rd row) and I'm a fan however, they were dreadful, not interested, couldn't look at each other and barely a word to the crowd.

The only one worth a dime that night was the drummer.

IMHO one of the worst shows I've ever attended and paid for.
Was that in 2008?

stevenymets

Yeah I figured as much. They were starting to break Big there plus they were on RockLine with Bob Coburn that night. Good press.
Yup, you nailed it, this is exactly right, combined with them trying to get a bigger story out of Rolling Stone, David Fricke was there that night, and they were recent free agents as well.

MikeFM

He was on Brian Koppelman's podcast The Moment. Great interview and a really interesting and thoughtful guy. Didn't start drumming until college IIRC - amazing.

He obviously didn't give away the meat of the book but it is absolutely on my short list.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just listened to it from start to finish. Loved Gorman. The interviewer though, while knowledgeable, was super annoying though. Kept interrupting Steve while he was in the middle of answering the question he just asked. And would talk over him. It's like he was trying to lead him to say something and when Gorman would go in a different direction he would cut him off and try again.
Anyway good overall though. Can't wait to read the book.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom