hard to watch the expensive guitar debates right now

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patshep, Mar 28, 2020.

1. patshep

patshep Member

So many out of work, including myself, the whole country is going into major debt...
    I came here to take my mind off things, but all i can think is.... maybe that $5000 guitar is a little out of control?
    time for a break maybe

2. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Do what you must! Come back when you're ready! :wave

3. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

sorry for your troubles brother.

ill politely say im not following ur statement though - is there a $5k guitar thread or are u browsing the emporium and making a statement? keep in mind some of these crazies make a living selling gear....

darth_tar, pepedede, Wyzard and 6 others like this.
  4. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Well...even without the virus panic...maybe that $5000 guitar is a little out of control.
    So why let it bother you now if you have the coin to toss down on it?
    Look at it this way...you're helping the economy, even if it's a bit nuts to drop $5k on a guitar anytime.

5. bibir

bibir Member

Unfortunately I just dropped 4500$ for a guitar just a couple of weeks before corona outbreak crashed the economy :( that was a special Riviera though..

6. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I'm glad people who are still OK are spending money. We don't need people WITH means to clam their wallets up, we need commerce to continue to flow for everyone's benefit.

Tony Done, Jutaika, PBGas and 81 others like this.
  7. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

u are absolutely correct.

8. poppunk

poppunk Member

It's good to maintain perspective in life and I hope you and NYC get back on your feet soon. There's a lot of people that are just going to get utterly screwed.

I think it's also important to maintain some perspective in wishful thinking; some of the posts I've seen seem to have glee that people will become desperate and that will drop prices of things people can buy and hurt companies and their employees in the hopes that means cheaper stuff. I don't know if people aren't thinking this through completely, but that is what the end goal of hopes of a price collapse is. And if you're hoping for this sort of thing, you probably are the kind of person that could be ultimately at risk when we get ripples through the whole economy.

Let's hope this thing blows over with as minimal of possible damage to the global and national economy and as few people's livelihoods damaged as possible. Even if one doesn't have empathy for others, one should recognize that this also has impacts on them. Unless they're independently wealthy, then I don't really get why they're waiting for prices to drop on anything.

9. poppunk

poppunk Member

Me and my wife are pretty low probability of getting in trouble with this situation; we're really fortunate in general. We have that whole emergency savings and retirement thing going, so we won't turtle up and hoard our money. I plan on making sure as much as my income goes back out to others as possible; we're all in this together.

10. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Truly sorry to hear that and this thread is a good reminder of what is important. The typical gear TGP gear discussions seem especially "tone-deaf" given the circumstances. Irony intended...

I find music itself always works for taking my mind off things...

Not sure your tastes but this is what I've got streaming right now.

Hope that provided a nice distraction...

:band

telephone, jbd3, stratzrus and 5 others like this.
  11. Gig Young

Gig Young It's not about the clown Silver Supporting Member

It shouldn't be hard to talk about expensive guitars now.
    Or cars
    Or pangolin leather shoes.

A lot of people out of work.
    A quality instrument is fun to talk about.

Whether or not you can afford it is low on the list.

12. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 Member

This. It has never been different. How many people can afford a '59 Les Paul and a Dumble? That has never stopped people from talking about them. Just because it's unobtainable to most doesn't make it taboo to discuss. At one point, we probably couldn't afford the gear we have now. But we still enjoyed lusting after it when we didn't have money.

Jaan, 73171, Nickstrtcstr and 11 others like this.
  13. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Supporting Member

Hey being able NOT to afford an item I’d really like is stuff i do even during healthier times so I’m already ok there right

C-4, 73171, Jabberwocky and 5 others like this.
  14. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Everyone should be able to make it a month without going into major debt or going broke. Probably more like 3 months but unfortunately I know we are pretty far removed from even one month. But, if you are not in position to make it even a month with no paycheck without taking on major debt? That might be a good reason to take the $5K guitar out of consideration. Any time.

mape, Jabby92, Jon C and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

i am scratching my head over some of the stuff i bought over the past few years.
    holy hell.. i just pulled up the calculator and did the math. wtf was i thinking..... i got to rent a lot of good gear , ill say that.

well it was a fun ride, here's a good song to go out on

16. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

Dead or alive, life goes on

Sometimes it’s best to be lucky

If Covid19 makes you re-evaluate that’s a good thing, consider yourself fortunate

HoneyNut, pepedede and garthb309 like this.
  17. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I would say that coming here is only going to be a reminder that there are lots of guitars out there that we all like.

Maybe taking mind off would be reading a great book or just listening to great music. As this is a gear page, that might not be the best way to relax if you don't want to think about $$.

Totally understand and very sorry so many folks like yourself are out of work right now. And I'm sure nobody here talking about gear in anyway intends to make light of people's issues right now.

18. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Situations like this, certainly add a bit of perspective to 'wants' and 'needs'. . . NYC (along with everywhere, pretty much - sooner or later_ is getting obliterated with sickness, unemployment, mortality wherever we look. . . and I don't think it's anything we didn't expect once the reality set in on what a problem this was going to be.

As an artist, music and my visual work keep me in a bit of a routine while every day other bits and pieces crumble. We are all scared (most of us, anyway), and we are in this together. I applaud anyone out there that can pick up whatever gear they can, or commission a new build. . . because that helps the economy and small businesses. But I won't be looking that way anytime soon. I want to keep my family safe, I simply don't NEED anything at this point that I don't have, and I sure as hell won't be selling anything right now, either.

I am lucky to still be employed at this point, and working from home. But for everyone out there that is sick or now looking for work, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. I wish I wa sin a position to help more, but like everyone we are bracing for what's coming even after this game changing pandemic runs its course.

I come here to get away from the news, as well as get my mind off whatever game of roulette we are playing with the world on whether or not we contract this thing, but it's important to acknowledge the ones that are being affected here, and offer support, even if it's just with words.

So, please be safe out there, we can get through this. There will be some NGD's for me at some point. . . just not anytime soon for me.

19. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

Even before all this happened, one of my favorite guitars is my 60s Classic Vibe Strat. Paid $220 new and an extra $79 for replacement pickups. No need for a $5000 guitar to have fun playing.

GT100, Jutaika, TomDev and 14 others like this.
  20. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Supporting Member

Hope you're well Pat! I got hit really hard as well, sold all non essential equipment right away. Stay safe, we'll push through !