Hardcore Honky Tonk - give us your best one-two punch

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
Two punches is all ya get. Make em count.

And all due respect if it says "Honky Tonk" in the title you ain't digging deep enough.

The original is still kicks hardest

A great Lefty Frizzell song covered by a kid with a classic voice

marl

With all due respect, Honky Tonk Man by Johnny Horton, and Honky Tonk Blues by Hank Williams. IMO that's the best one-two combo. I'm all for digging, tho, for such under-appreciated gems as the Joe Maphis and Eddie Noack tunes.

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
With all due respect, Honky Tonk Man by Johnny Horton, and Honky Tonk Blues by Hank Williams. IMO that's the best one-two combo. I'm all for digging, tho, for such under-appreciated gems as the Joe Maphis and Eddie Noack tunes.
You're right. I was just trying to invite the deep cuts from the deep fans here.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll go to the end of the era. I think he was probably the last true, stone cold Honky Tonk artist.
One of our drummers in my 70s band was Gary Stewarts brother, Greg. I got to know Gary and his wife quite well back then. His old backing band is still together and plays a lot of his songs. Tragic end for both he and his wife.

Mudder

Maybe not the right genre, but this says honky tonk to me. Side note, Exene Cervenka and Los Straitjackets cover this and it's awesome, maybe better.

rwmct

Well, there is this:

And for a second one, I am going to go to the line between bluegrass and honkytonk. You might call this a bluegrass tune (primarily I think because of the banjo) but to me, the sensibility is honky tonk all the way:

rwmct

If that jimmy martin number is not honky tonk enough for you I will take this as a mulligan:

Sco77

Try "Wild Side of Life" [Hank Thompson] followed by "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" [Kitty Wells] and throw in "Six Pack to Go" [Hank again] for good measure.

And if you want to diesel it up a bit, try [Six Days on the Road] followed with [Truck Drivin' Man (Pour me another cup of Coffee)].

ned7flat5

Saw this on TGP a couple of years back and thought it was worth resurrecting... the guitar player kinda nails the Pete Anderson vibe in practically every aspect.....

Last edited:

Staceydude

I spent way to many hours as a young teenager in Honky Tonk bars following my Dad around and often driving him home before I had a drivers license.

It is funny how back then (mid to late 70s) I remember the old guys complaining about the new country music.. lolol like Willie and Waylon etc basically the outlaw country movement in comparison to the older honky tonk and country. Even though many of those guys had been around forever. My old man worked on a ranch and he was all Webb Pierce and Hank Sr. But below is some of the tunes it seems I heard on the Juke Box all the time.... gotta get a lady in here also lolol sorry I am puttin more than two...

Trending Topics