Harden Engineering Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ducmike, May 7, 2016.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I just stumbled upon them, and the Broncobuster looks really cool. Looking for some input/reviews/info on these. Not much info when I did a search.

I've been looking for something a little more on the funky side, and this might be it. It sounds great in the couple of YT videos I found, but none give much detail, or any clean tones.

http://hardenengineering.com/guitars/

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Damn. That's a lot of engraving. Love the neck inlays and his neck joint.

3. sleep

sleep Member

I liked the vibe of them, there happened to be one used at a Music Go Round in Albuquerque... I was not impressed by how the guitar played, but maybe it needed a good setup or maybe it was just that guitar. It dispelled the mystique for me, though.

4. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, looks pretty cool. BTW, your sig is awesome.

I know, I hate when that happens. I felt this way about Teye's guitars, and I've tried several new Teye's. Action and set up can be fixed on any guitar. A funky neck shape? Not so much. I just could not get along with the classical neck. I know one could get used to it, but it would be very hard when you have a bunch of other guitars that don't have a drastic departure in shape.

Can you help a little with what you didn't like about the playability? Action too high or low? Old strings? Rough feel to the fingerboard, or frets? Weird neck shape? Thanks.

5. sleep

sleep Member

I wish I could elaborate, but it was a pick it up and put it back nearly immediately situation as I did not like anything about it. I do remember wondering if the action was supposed to be that high or if it could be lowered, but it just didn't grab me enough to want to investigate further. My sample is size is, of course, too low to say anything more than that the one I played wasn't a great guitar. It did sit a MGR for a few months after I played it so I feel confident it wasn't only my opinion of that guitar.

I had the same reaction to the Teye guitars you did, but for me, it was that the one I played just wasn't a very well built guitar. The binding had issues, the nut had issues, not a lot of attention to detail. There was hype around them at the time and it did not live up to it.

6. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Mine just arrived, so still getting to know it. But to this point, I like what I feel/hear...

[​IMG]

Chrome Dinette and Baemer like this.
  7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

8. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

Why yes, yes I do.

I currently own two Harden Belmonts (and previously owned a Bo Diddley model). Bill Harden makes great guitars. Stylish. Fit and finish is top shelf. Play easily. Sound great.

Here are mine:

Harden Bo Diddley
    [​IMG]
    Traded this one back to Bill toward the green Belmont (below).

Harden Belmont (prototype, design based on Supro Ozark at my request)
    [​IMG]
    24.75" scale. Chunky C neck. Single coil pickup.

Harden Belmont
    [​IMG]
    25.25" scale. FAT U neck. Single coil pickup. My #1.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I've written extensively about my Hardens. Do a search and see what turns up. Or feel free to message me if you have any questions.

PS. For clips, check out our record on bandcamp. The green Belmont is the only guitar I used (no overdubs either).

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    sargebaker and Chrome Dinette like this.
  9. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I did NOT need to see that tele meets les Paul shaped one. He stole that shape out of my dreams

10. S1Player

S1Player Member

How are we to assess these guitars without having a detailed list of specs? Do people seriously see a picture of these guitars and just place an order?

It's great to find out about new different guitars, but these companies going to the trouble of putting up websites only to provide no real information drive me nuts.

11. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

With all three of my Harden builds, I talked directly to Bill about the specs I wanted. Told him what I wanted in terms of neck profile, nut width, pickup, color and then let him do the rest. Bill is generally building guitars for individuals and rarely for retail, so I suspect that the detailed list of specs will vary from guitar to guitar.

Worked out great for me. YMMV.

12. S1Player

S1Player Member

Then, it'd be great to feature that in big letters on the page.

13. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

http://hardenengineering.com

Middle of the page:
    [​IMG]

Bottom of the page:
    [​IMG]

DISCLAIMER: I am not a shill. I do not work for Harden Engineering, nor have I received any promotional considerations for discussing the guitars that I have purchased from him. I like the guy and his guitars, and I proudly play them.

MisterMitch and Chrome Dinette like this.
  14. S1Player

S1Player Member

Yes. it says right there "we can make nut widths up to _______ wide. And necks up to _________ thick at the first and 12th fret". Etc etc. I stand corrected.

Many times I have read such "We do customs" with absolutely no specifics around what their capabilities are. Send them an email and get the response "Oh, no we can't do that." It's very easy to publish some of their custom spec options and specific capabilities on the website - to avoid pointless email exchanges.

15. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

OK. Fair enough. The website could be better.
    The guitars are amazing.

scr@tchy likes this.
  16. Reverend Russell

Reverend Russell Member

I had a Harden Engineering SWITCHBLADE built for me, this past year. It is easily one of the best playing guitars I own. The tone is incredible. Harden Engineering winds the pickups and builds the guitar from the ground up. Customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Before the build, owner Bill Harnden talked to me at length about what I wanted in the guitar. He was friendly and genuinely interested in helping me get exactly what I wanted. The design is unique, very retro-cool. The sound of the guitar fits the overall aesthetic, as well. I play blues and rockabilly (for the most part), and this guitar performs perfectly. I can't say enough good things about this guitar. It sounds wonderful with every single amp I own. Yesterday, I spent time plugging it into 15 different amps -- mostly valve amps but a couple of nice solid state amps, as well. Great in every way.

I don't work for the company, nor am I receiving any compensation for this post. I simply love this guitar and wanted to tell some folks.

Prof.Fuzz likes this.
  17. Reverend Russell

Reverend Russell Member

Here is a pic of my Harden Engineering Switchblade. This is my first time ever posting on a forum, so we will see if this works.

[​IMG]

18. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Member

now that's a statement guitar

19. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Holy crap I want the Bo Diddley!