Hardtail vs. Blocked tremolo on a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gunnar1104, Sep 20, 2008.

1. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

I'm going to be having a guitar custom built and I had a quick question about how I should do the bridge on my strat.

I'm wondering if I should a do a string through body like a tele on my strat. Or should I just get a tremolo and block it? Will the guitar still maintain it's "strat-iness" or is the tremolo a big part of it? Just seems like it would be a good idea since I NEVER use it and if I did I would use my cu24's because it is actually controllable and doesn't wank the guitar out of tune.

Thanks,
    -Gunnar

2. angelo

angelo Member

I personally think it does matter. I too had a custom Mel built and included a blocked bridge. I then took the block out like on my strats and just cranked down the claw to have the bridge sit flush on the top.

I believe the springs do vibrate and I do notice them. Or maybe it's just a big placebo --- but I like it.:BEER

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I say get the tremelo and put all 5 springs in it.

4. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Would the tele bridge have more clarity or sustain?

5. angelo

angelo Member

You would think the answer is sure, maybe yes to both. But aren't strats with trems cranked down clear enough to be strats? I have never worried about a strat's clarity. Did that make sense?

6. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I think hardtails have a different feel and sound from trems, more tele-like. There is a certain stratty *zing*, that's unique to a vintage trem model.

I had a light weight hardtail G&L Legacy built, not a through the body but using their ASAT bridge. What I noticed about that guitar was that it wouldn't open up until it reached gigging volumes. At home it didn't sound very big, but when turned up it became another guitar. By contrast, I've found trem Strats (or strat type) to sound more consistent through different volumes.

Maybe it was just an anomoly.

7. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I just posted this on another thread but it actually is more relevant here.

My main Strat for a long time was a hardtail. It's hard to describe the differences as it's more of a feel thing. The classic neck tone is there although it is a little different. I find the hardtail to have a bit more sustain and it seems to get to the fundamental of the note a little faster, so yes a bit clearer. I find the trem and springs contribute more overtones to the sound with the vibrations of the block and springs. Because of this the trem strat is a little bigger sounding to me with a little less point to the fundamental of the note.

It's not a huge difference, but enough to me that I think the true pure strat tone needs the trem.