• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Hardware drum machine for rock-oriented music

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Platinum Supporting Member
Like the title says, I suppose. It seems like a lot of units are pumped for their abilities in techno/house, but I'm recording RnB, funk, blues, soul, country, rock, etc.

I'm not looking for hyper high quality...a couple hundred bucks on a simple machine that can output in stereo, allow me to build and sequence my own patterns and have some level of tweakability with the kits would be great.

About the most promising unit I've seen so far is the Alesis SR18.

Ideas?

raph

Looks like a good one, but make sure it has velocity sensitive pads. Some don't.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I have the Alesis SR16 - it is not that great. I actually use it to trigger a plugin (Addictive drums) but it still has a sterile feel. Part of the problem is the hi-hat, it does not have the same good hi-hat action the older Alesis HR16 had, (with open, close and foot). All it has is open & closed.

If the SR18 has more hi-hat control it would be better. But I still think the tones are a little weak (but they work great for printing midi and using that to trigger any drum samples you want)

I also think the quantize function, which you can't really get away from, makes everything a little sterile. I believe it defaults to 16th notes maximum, so subtle accents are lost.

And I will say I was a monster Alesis programmer. I would spend hours perfecting songs. They are easy to program, I will give them that.

People who use loops claim they have better luck. Like Addictive Drums has loops you can sample and then drag & drop into a song. Personally I have not tried it yet.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
When I read this.....

"I'm not looking for hyper high quality...a couple hundred bucks on a simple machine that can output in stereo, allow me to build and sequence my own patterns and have some level of tweakability with the kits would be great.
About the most promising unit I've seen so far is the Alesis SR18."

Then I would say it does great, probably the best drum machine on the market for ease of programming. Just don't expect it to sound like a real drummer.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
I'm just trying to get away from the computer. I don't work well in that environment.

My primary recording device is a Zoom R8, which has been a surprisingly capable little unit to work with. The problem being that for a varied and somewhat realistic sounding drum track, I need more tracks than it offers. I figured it'd be easier to create the sequence outboard, be able to tweak it as I go and only consume a stereo track while doing so.

I'm only aiming for demo level material here.

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Just in case someone else peruses this, for about $100 more, I could get the Boss DR-880 which has better sounds, more of them, more user slots for drum kits and patterns, the full 127 steps of sensitivity (only accessible via MIDI in the SR18) and a bunch of other fun stuff.

So DR-880 it is, unless something shows up at NAMM.

SteveO

I had a DR-880 that I ditched after going full-on software. It's a very good unit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom