Hardwire Chorus as a Leslie! - youtube

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WoodyStrat, Dec 21, 2009.

1. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Supporting Member

I have been playing with my Hardwire Chorus lately and I stumbled on a Leslie sound setting that is really doing it for me! I did a little demo comparing it to a Line 6 Roto-Machine, also a pedal that I really like, but the chorus will boot the Roto-machine off the board! Maybe it will help other Leslie lovers to get the rig that works best for them!
    http://www.youtube.com/v/ocLo--KwAno&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ocLo--KwAno&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

2. Steven

Steven Member

Nice socks!:) Given the limitations of the speakers on my computer that actually sounds very nice! That seems to be a great and affordable alternativ to all those dedicated Leslie-sim pedals out there. Those HW pedals from Digitech packs a lot of great sounds.

3. newswede

newswede Member

Thanks for the demo. I've been looking at a few Leslie options as well, but am mostly trying to achieve the slower leslie sound. Seems like that's what's pretty hard to model. :(

4. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Yup. Lots of pedals can do a passable imitation of the fast Leslie sound, but getting a good slow sound is really hard. If you're using a chorus or a flanger or a phaser, as soon as you turn the "rate" control down, the pedal stops sounding Leslie-ish and starts sounding like what it really is. Only thing I've heard that really nails the slow Leslie sound is the H and K Tube Rotosphere.

Nice playing, BTW. :)

5. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Good job and thanks for the post !

The hardwire chorus is a mighty fine pedal.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Note to youtube posters. If you're demonstrating equipment and you talk for more than 15 seconds, start the video over. I'm sure it's a good demo, but who cares where the Leslie used to be in his room. Sheesh. I lost interest before I got to the part where the pedals are demoed.

8. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

GCDEF, you don't know how many gear videos piss me off because of that. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .... like Frank Zappa said, shut up and play yer guitar.

9. WoodyStrat

Thanks for the kind comments!

I agree with the ADD guys, there was too much talking on this one. My goal was to point out that I had a real Leslie, there were some valid reasons that it didn't work out and I have found some reasonable solutions.

Slow speeds - I have not tried to get a slow leslie with the Hardwire yet. It will likely sound like a chorus. The Line 6 however sounds very close to the real deal at slow speeds. The real Leslie in a room does not sound the same as your favorite recorded Leslie sound. When recoding Leslies especially, radical changes happen with mike placement and the room that it is in. I think the pedals available do better in many cases nailing the recorded Leslie sounds just because they are far more controlable. My experience anyway.

10. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

What pedal/effect in your opinion does that 3D, room filling, real Leslie sound best?

11. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Sounds good to me.

12. WoodyStrat

&#8220;3D, Room filling&#8221; This is where simulations run into limitations. Actually, the room I have was too small to get this effect with any real satisfaction with the actual Leslie as well since I was literally sitting on top of the thing. It had a much more dramatic effect out in my garage, but I don&#8217;t want to play out there.

I don&#8217;t think that the &#8220;3D&#8221; effect is possible from a single speaker. I think the Line 6 does a great job reproducing 90% of the Leslie experience through a single speaker. But in all honesty, I have not tried other dedicated Leslie pedals because I thought that the Line 6 did such a great job. I also have many of the modules for the Tone Core pedal to get those sounds that I only want occaisionally.

The answer for the successful simulation of the real Leslie effect must surely lie with stereo imaging. I have not tried the Line 6 in stereo as I tend to be a simpleton when it comes to my setup. However, I will give it a shot and let you know. But, it would take multiple speakers with a very well designed moving image to convincingly recreate the Doppler Effect generated by a genuine rotating speaker. Still, I think that you will be getting closer to good recordings of Leslies vs. standing in the room with the real thing.

Much of this stuff is a compromise. I love the Marshall sound and wish that I could get it out of my Princeton and you can get really close with the gear available today. But this weekend I was in the guitar store and played a proper Marshall in their amp room and it was instant nirvana! Just hard to beat the real deal! Unfortunately, it is not practical for my situation and great as it was&#8230;neither was the real Leslie.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Although, useful commentary can be equally valid when educating people.

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Sounds really good and lush. Wonder how it sounds with some dirt in front of it for that classic grind.

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

It's seldom useful though. If I want to know what features something has, I'll read the manual. I go to Youtube to hear the thing, not some guy yakking endlessly.

16. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if it is intentional or not, but you're coming across as pretty harsh. It's not like the guy started the video with a speech or something, he just put into context his history with Leslie pedals, the fact that he did own a real one as a comparison and his need to go with a pedal over the real thing due to a practical space limitation.

I understand providing constructive criticism, but that adage about 'some people would complain about a free lunch' really rings true here. Please feel free to provide links to your informative videos minus the commentary.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

His video just started me on a general rant. Whether I have videos or not is irelevant.

18. Juice Jenkins

Juice Jenkins Member

Plenty of people do complain about things like a 'free lunch,' especially in an anonymous youtube world. But I think most people that post videos know that harsh comments come with the territory. I agree this guy was just trying to give some context. You can always skip forward on any video if you don't want the context.

In any case, I appreciated this guy's video because I have the same chorus pedal and can now try out his settings. So thanks to the OP!

19. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Very nice... I was looking for a new way to use my CR7, now you've helped me out!

20. WoodyStrat

I think this is what folks are talking about. It sounds like a rant. I agree I did talk a lot. I have a hard time with it myself. I watched one video where the guy explained every feature of the pedal for 10 minutes and never played through it!! My appraoch was to present it as if you were in the room with me and I was telling you about my stuff.

We aims to please so here is the Cliff Notes version! If you have trouble sitting through 59 seconds, you should consider medication! :rotflmao(just funnin' with you guys!!)

http://www.youtube.com/v/g52csYZthuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g52csYZthuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">