Hardwire (Digitech) tube overdrive and valve distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Oct 25, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

two new pedals Ive seen at guitar center...according to the salesguy digitech has upped their game and these are supposedly great sounding pedals...

Now every single digitech overdrive or distortion Ive tried in the past has been utterly horrible useless...so, anyone try these and what do you think?

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I own the CM-2 Tube Overdrive and it sounds very natural and clear. It has two voicings that certainly have their own character.

For stacking pedals, I would say the classic voicing is the best. It has a bit less gain than the modified, but it is more transparent. Whether you play chords or single notes, you will find that you don't lose clarity, or your guitar's character.

I have had the pedal for a week and I am extremely happy that I got it. I got a chance to try it in a band situation and it has the balls to make me stand out in the mix, and it is perfect for solo boosts too. I would say the pedal is worth the asking price, no doubt about it. Oh, and stacking the pedal with the Hyde side of my Jekyll & Hyde sounds very pleasing to my ears. Lots of sustain, and harmonics...

As for the distortion, well, I haven't tried that one, but it is only a matter of time... ;)

3. RickB

RickB Member

If you try a few search terms such as "Hardwire", you should be able to pull up a few threads on them. I haven't heard many negatives on any of the Hardwire series pedals. I have the RV-7 Reverb and love it. Haven't tried any others yet but have been wanting to.

4. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I have the metal, chorus and delay and they are awesome. I have played the OD and distortion also. I like the OD better than my Keeley TS808. Not kidding and for $99.00 thats win win

5. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

There were 2 recent threads on these. One that was singing the praises and one mostly dogging them.

6. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Most of the people dogging these pedals are people how either have not tried the pedals themselves (because they are already prejudiced against DigiTech), or people who are "endorsing" other products.

Whether these pedals get good reviews or not, it is up to the OP to try them out by himself/herself and then decide whether or not the pedals are what they are looking for. I mean, I recently tried the VOX Satchurator and didn't like it very much even though it is getting good reviews, or the Fulltone OCD. People love that pedal, but it just didn't do anything for me, especially for the asking price $200 CDN!

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I saw They had them in GC when I was there last week but They keep them away from the good amps and keep small ss amps with small speakers and cheap guitars near the pedals. This frustrates me since it doesn't give me any idea how they'll sound with My setup. I need something to replace my failing Bad Monkey and the Hardwire Overdrive looks like the ticket.

8. richpjr

richpjr Member

I have had a DL-8 for about a month have been quite happy with it. I just picked up an SC-2 on Friday for a bit more gain than I get out of my Barber pedals, but have only had a few minutes to play on it so I don't have a strong opinion yet (but so far so good).

9. gidude73

gidude73 Member

I have the overdrive and its really great. Definitely an overdrive with balls and versatile.