Hardwire DL-8 or TC Nova Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by desceneisvals, Feb 8, 2012.

1. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

I've had a Nova before and liked it, it actually kicked my DD-5 off the board which I never thought would happen.

But I've never played a DL-8. I l'm definitely on a budget and need a second delay, and the fact that it loops is a major plus. I was looking for a delay with tap tempo to run into my DL-4 (delay junkie and had to sell all my analog delays to support my family between jobs) but if I go the Hardwire route I can run the DL-4 first and use the DL-8 for looping and extra delay.

I've just never had any experience with Digitech and honestly have avoided them because I had never really heard good things about them until the Hardwire series came along.

Thanks for the info guys and gals.

Also open to other suggestions in that price range, just needs to have tap or external tap input and looping is a plus.

2. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

Just to be clear, you already have a DL-4, and are wondering which second delay to buy?

I have the NovaDelay and love it too. I think the Flashback has looping and smaller footprint, but no tap. For me only a VMSD or a Timeline trump the NovaDelay.

3. desceneisvals

Yeah I already have a DL-4, but the loop function being separate makes it a pain in the ass to do exactly what I want to do with it. Before I had to fire sale everything I had multiple loopers/delays on my board including a Lo-Fi Loop Junkie, Gibson Echoplex Pro, a DD-5 w/ tap or Nova depending on time period, an El Cap, and Diamond Memory Lane 2 or Vintage Memory man depending on the time period.

Here was my board right after I started selling stuff. I just want a second delay that has tap, and the loop function is a bonus.

[​IMG]

4. desceneisvals

Yeah, the Flashback looks really cool too.

5. Bleach265

Bleach265 Member

I have the Hardwire DL-8, and until I got the TimeFactor, it was my go-to delay for pretty much anything not involving tap tempo (I could never figure that out!). It was kicked off the board for the TimeFactor, but it's gone back on in the last week, because the Looper is better, longer, and actually easier to use with my pedals' current placement on the DL-8. Plus, it's simple, and doesn't make my brain hurt when I want to create a new sound.

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

The Hardwire for sure

It has a unique way of capturing loops (8 second loops) using the repeats knob.
    it's a great way to blend the old loops with the new loops. very cool,
    a staple of Bill Frisells sound.

And all delays sound very nice, and the main looper works fine

I don't like all the work needed to get to tap tempo. And I don't really like Flashbacks tap tempo thing either.
    But the 8 second looping (or anything in between) on the Hardwire using the repeats knob more than makes up for the tap tempo weirdness.

Also The Digitech DL4 also has this repeats knob looping ability - 4 seconds = 120bpm. great for recording in sync (at least at 120 lol)

7. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

That hardwire delay is a very nice delay but I never really used the tap tempo or looper. Most of the modes on it are very usable. Actually, most of the hardwire pedals are very nice but seem to get passed over quite a bit, probably just because of the digitech name.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

lol
    Digitech is a big name in looping by hand, again ask Friz.
    He's given this gear lots of attention here on TGP.

Is there more lush delays? Hell yea, but they don't do the looping tricks.