1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hardwire Stereo Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Heady Jam Fan, May 18, 2011.

1. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Digitech's new pedal line, branded Hardwire are some interesting pedals. I had their reverb for a while and I really liked it, only sold it so I could go effect only from rack gear into PA. The thing that I find kind of bothersome and tricky is that most of the stereo pedals say true stereo, and it really is stereo since the stereo in and stereo out is separate (meaning there are really two of each pedal in one enclosure), but most don't have any difference between the signal produced on the left and right sides, so they do not create a stereo image. Some pedals do on a few settings, like the Tremolo, others don't at all. So really, it is like two pedals passing along a stereo signal, but you need something before it to differentiate the left and right stereo signals... This isn't really described on their site, kinda bugged me - is this how most stereo pedals are?

2. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I've been wondering the same thing about many "stereo" pedals. For example, my favourtie delay is an Arion SAD-1 stereo analog delay. But is it truly stereo, or does it just split the signal between two outputs? Would it sound any different if I the delay with a mono out into a spliter (one in, two outs)?

TG

3. Sleepyhouse1422

Sleepyhouse1422 Supporting Member

Hopefully someone will have some answers because I've always wondered the same thing.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, I felt bad making this thread, partly ragging on hardwire (and maybe other 'stereo' pedals), because hardwire is a huge improvement over digitech. But it is misleading since their first line of advertisement is "True Stereo!" I cannot help but feel that is misleading when it mostly just allows previous pedals in your effect chain that actually creates a stereo image pass that signal through. In that case, it is helpful certainly, but not at creating its own stereo image that will differentiate two speakers. It also doesn't help that their sound clips are in mono either.... On the other hand, there tremolo rotary features are stereo, but not the other trem settings (compared to MXR's Trem), even their dual trem, which could be really cool if you could set different speeds on left and right sides, is mono.

5. Gorgar

Gorgar Member

I can't speak for anything but the reverb pedal, but according to the manual, the stereo feature on that is strictly for passing an already stereo signal through, applying reverb separately to each signal. In my opinion, that's not a bad arrangement. I think in general any pedal with one input and stereo outs is likely to be generating a stereo image itself, and any pedal with stereo ins is more likely to be operating on both sides independently, trying to preserve the separation already present at the inputs. The Boss DD-20 mostly works like this, unless you set it up for the ping-pong delay that alternates signals between outputs; then it mixes left and right together first, I think. Otherwise it'll keep left and right distinct.