• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Hardwired AC10...

SpaceandFuzz

Gold Supporting Member
New to the British amp game, looking for a tube rectified AC10 type amp (or less than 10 watts...). Preferably a 12” speaker, but not opposed to 10”.

Combo or head and cab.

I was looking at the Z Wreck Jr., but I almost feel like that’s too much amp for what I’m looking for.

Ideally, a British/AC version of the Gries 5 would be pretty rad. Simple, reasonably priced.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm, how about an AC-10 from the 60s? Not cheap, but not more than most boutique copies!

feet

Gold Supporting Member
How hung up are you on that tube rectifier? I've run the ac15hw and ac4 he through the same ir and they sound pretty much the same using the settings they share.

That aside; modern ac, less than 10 watts, hand wired, tube rectified? Never heard of it.

SpaceandFuzz

Gold Supporting Member
How hung up are you on that tube rectifier? I've run the ac15hw and ac4 he through the same ir and they sound pretty much the same using the settings they share.

That aside; modern ac, less than 10 watts, hand wired, tube rectified? Never heard of it.
I’d prefer a tube rectifier, but if it just doesn’t exist, then I guess I’m out of luck.
Are there are some boutique AC15 builders I should check out?

feet

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, I stopped looking at boutique models when I got my handwired vox. The 15 was so good I got the 4. Haven't looked back.

I had bad experience with my top hat, but it really wasn't the same thing, anyway. I might have gone with a Morgan but the guy was really shady in those days. They stopped making the hayseed years ago. Greer has a tiny amp head that was supposed to be vox based; sounded cool in demos. Nobody is getting their hands on a jmi or whatever they are called now. Never tried a bad cat, but hear they are nice. Mesa stopped making the transatlantic; people liked that one. That blind lemon chitlin guy was revered for his clones. People wet themselves over the magic Brit and the xits amps and both fell off the face of the Earth.

That covers a lot of the big names of the past. I suppose Morgan or Greer would make the most sense as a starting point if you go that route. Others will be along to chime in; lots of folks have taken a stab at a vox over the years.

The feeling I get with new and boutique clones in general is that they nail stereotypical vox sounds, but sound nothing like my amp does in the room. Don't know what that means and I'm not looking to find out. I didn't find the "vox" done, but I found my sound.

You could always mod one more to your liking, too. Psyonic (?) and maybe few others can do that. Either way, you have a lot of research on front of you. Good luck.

SpaceandFuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, I stopped looking at boutique models when I got my handwired vox. The 15 was so good I got the 4. Haven't looked back.

I had bad experience with my top hat, but it really wasn't the same thing, anyway. I might have gone with a Morgan but the guy was really shady in those days. They stopped making the hayseed years ago. Greer has a tiny amp head that was supposed to be vox based; sounded cool in demos. Nobody is getting their hands on a jmi or whatever they are called now. Never tried a bad cat, but hear they are nice. Mesa stopped making the transatlantic; people liked that one. That blind lemon chitlin guy was revered for his clones. People wet themselves over the magic Brit and the xits amps and both fell off the face of the Earth.

That covers a lot of the big names of the past. I suppose Morgan or Greer would make the most sense as a starting point if you go that route. Others will be along to chime in; lots of folks have taken a stab at a vox over the years.

The feeling I get with new and boutique clones in general is that they nail stereotypical vox sounds, but sound nothing like my amp does in the room. Don't know what that means and I'm not looking to find out. I didn't find the "vox" done, but I found my sound.

You could always mod one more to your liking, too. Psyonic (?) and maybe few others can do that. Either way, you have a lot of research on front of you. Good luck.
Tons of info here, thank you!

S. G.

I have the AC30HW2 and the AC15HW1, and they are so good I sold off all my other amps.
Wanna get the AC4HW to complete the collection.

Axe-Man

I absolutely love my AC15HW1X. I’ve done some mods but will do some more (possibly the MM Albion iron and same value component replacement). I’ve watched some psyonic videos. I’ve owned the AC10C1 and there is little difference in 5 watts.

New to the British amp game, looking for a tube rectified AC10 type amp (or less than 10 watts...). Preferably a 12” speaker, but not opposed to 10”.

Combo or head and cab.

I was looking at the Z Wreck Jr., but I almost feel like that’s too much amp for what I’m looking for.

Ideally, a British/AC version of the Gries 5 would be pretty rad. Simple, reasonably priced.
Are you specifically looking for an AC-10 type amp, meaning something with an EF86 and an ECF82? Or are you referring to the AC-10SRT? They're quite different amps. The AC-10 was kind of a budget model and overshadowed by the AC-15, so you're not going to find a modern day handwired clone of it. Though the AC-10SRT saw some recent resurgence of popularity when it was featured on the Doug and Pat youtube channel. Henry amps started building clones following that, as someone liked above. The SRT is not like the original EF86 based AC-10. So it depends on which circuit you're looking for.

There are plenty of builders that make EF86 based amps, if that's what you're looking for. So I'd look into something like the Winfield Cyclone, which is EF86 based and also has a master volume, as power seems to be a concern for you (as it should be, these aren't quiet amps). It also has a 5AR4 rectifier.

And you've mentioned the Z Wreck Jr., which is not like an AC-10 at all (either model). If you're looking into a Treble/Bass Top boost type amp, but referring to an AC-10 due to the wattage, I'd recommend looking into the Morgan Abbey. This is essentially an AC-30 Top Boost preamp with a 15W power section, tube rectifier, and power scaling. The power scaling takes the amp down to 1/4W and works quite well to get great sounds at very low volumes.

So, that's my advice.
  • If you want an EF86 amp: Winfield Cyclone (EF86 sound with a master volume)
  • If you want an AC-10SRT: The Henry SRT+ (AC-10SRT clone with updated reverb)
  • If you want a Top Boost amp: Morgan Abbey (Top boost with power scaling)

SpaceandFuzz

Gold Supporting Member
Are you specifically looking for an AC-10 type amp, meaning something with an EF86 and an ECF82? Or are you referring to the AC-10SRT? They're quite different amps. The AC-10 was kind of a budget model and overshadowed by the AC-15, so you're not going to find a modern day handwired clone of it. Though the AC-10SRT saw some recent resurgence of popularity when it was featured on the Doug and Pat youtube channel. Henry amps started building clones following that, as someone liked above. The SRT is not like the original EF86 based AC-10. So it depends on which circuit you're looking for.

There are plenty of builders that make EF86 based amps, if that's what you're looking for. So I'd look into something like the Winfield Cyclone, which is EF86 based and also has a master volume, as power seems to be a concern for you (as it should be, these aren't quiet amps). It also has a 5AR4 rectifier.

And you've mentioned the Z Wreck Jr., which is not like an AC-10 at all (either model). If you're looking into a Treble/Bass Top boost type amp, but referring to an AC-10 due to the wattage, I'd recommend looking into the Morgan Abbey. This is essentially an AC-30 Top Boost preamp with a 15W power section, tube rectifier, and power scaling. The power scaling takes the amp down to 1/4W and works quite well to get great sounds at very low volumes.

So, that's my advice.
  • If you want an EF86 amp: Winfield Cyclone (EF86 sound with a master volume)
  • If you want an AC-10SRT: The Henry SRT+ (AC-10SRT clone with updated reverb)
  • If you want a Top Boost amp: Morgan Abbey (Top boost with power scaling)
Also good stuff here. Honestly, wasn’t aware there was an AC10. I’m just looking for a Vox type amp but lower wattage with a tube rec. I figure ~10 watts is a good common ground.

Also good stuff here. Honestly, wasn’t aware there was an AC10. I’m just looking for a Vox type amp but lower wattage with a tube rec. I figure ~10 watts is a good common ground.
There are different Vox type amps, and they do different sounds. There are EF86 amps, 12AX-7 based "normal" amps, and Top Boost amps. Some amps have multiple pre-amps and allow for more than one of these options. But it all comes down to the sound(s) you want.

Saying a "Vox type amp" isn't any more specific than saying the same of Fender. Are you looking for Tweed, Blackface, or Silver Faced? With Vox, its deciding if you want EF86, Normal, or Top Boost (or multiple options). If you're being specific enough that a tube rectifier is non-negotiable, the actual circuit it's powering is even more important.

I wouldn't worry too much about wattage. There's very little difference in the volume between a "10W" amp with 2 EL-84s and a "15W" amp, which also has 2 EL-84s. They're both pretty loud. As a lot of true to form Vox clones are non master volume, I think that's the biggest thing to be mindful of if you're concerned about volume.

As I mentioned, the Morgan Abbey and Winfield Cyclone are good options that have control over the volume and are tube rectified.

Roccorobb

Matchless Sc Mini.
Bad cat also makes one, the mini cat. There's also a mini cat ii. The ii has a 12" speaker. Not sure about differences beyond that.

You could also go with something like a Morgan ac20 with London power scaling. It works great.

MHG

Not exactly the specs you're looking for, but the 7 watt Little Chopper may still be of interest to you.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
Another big fan of the AC15HW....actually I've become a big fan of Vox in 2020, so this year wasn't all that bad :)

Currently shopping for a AC30HW...

Side-note: I actually bought a Z-Wreck Jr Combo a few months ago to compare to my AC15HW, but the fella I bought it from lived in Oregon and this was during the Oregon wildfires, so he refunded my payment because he had to leave town due to the fires and couldn't ship it. I tried though...lol.

Bigtone

Don’t underestimate the Z wreck
Junior
I tried one for a week through my own cabs etc.
It’s one of the funnest amps I have
Ever played
At times it reminded me of my old JMP 50 watter, and other times like a nice Vox,
The Master is great, really good,
And depending where the master is the cut is much more than just a topend role off
Excellent amp,
Bt

I’ve owned Matchless , Vox, etc
The junior is worth a look and is much more useful than those amps
In a home environment, and IMO
Live situations too,

SpaceandFuzz

Gold Supporting Member
There are different Vox type amps, and they do different sounds. There are EF86 amps, 12AX-7 based "normal" amps, and Top Boost amps. Some amps have multiple pre-amps and allow for more than one of these options. But it all comes down to the sound(s) you want.

Saying a "Vox type amp" isn't any more specific than saying the same of Fender. Are you looking for Tweed, Blackface, or Silver Faced? With Vox, its deciding if you want EF86, Normal, or Top Boost (or multiple options). If you're being specific enough that a tube rectifier is non-negotiable, the actual circuit it's powering is even more important.

I wouldn't worry too much about wattage. There's very little difference in the volume between a "10W" amp with 2 EL-84s and a "15W" amp, which also has 2 EL-84s. They're both pretty loud. As a lot of true to form Vox clones are non master volume, I think that's the biggest thing to be mindful of if you're concerned about volume.

As I mentioned, the Morgan Abbey and Winfield Cyclone are good options that have control over the volume and are tube rectified.
Understood. Definitely not Top Boost. I’m looking for a mostly clean/edge of breakup compliment to a Fender blackface style amp. So I think it’s between EF86 and normal channel. And yes, I’m learning that a master volume is going to be essential here.

Understood. Definitely not Top Boost. I’m looking for a mostly clean/edge of breakup compliment to a Fender blackface style amp. So I think it’s between EF86 and normal channel. And yes, I’m learning that a master volume is going to be essential here.
Look into the Morgan AC-20 deluxe. It's the Normal/Brilliant channel and the EF86 channel in one amp, with power scaling and a tube rectifier. His power scaling works better than a master volume, without a doubt. The Morgan Dual 20 is all that, with the Top Boost channel added (it is in a larger enclosure and is more expensive).

The AC-20 Deluxe was discontinued. Although you may still find some new ones out there, I'd buy used to save some money.

The Winfield Cyclone is also still worth consideration if you only want the EF86 pre-amp.

Trending Topics