Harley Benton TE-52 vs G&L ASAT Classic

I currently have the G&L on reserve from GC which was on sale for $399 and I really liked it when I tried it in the store. Seems like an absolute steal. Then, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read a lot of positive reviews on the HB TE-52, and can’t believe the sound and quality for the price of only $172 including shipping. Is it too good to be true, or is it a great way to save money by going with the HB instead? Unfortunately, I can’t play the HB before I buy. But it seems like it would be low risk for the price and they have a 30 day return policy.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both guitars and can tell me whether the price difference is worth it or not?

He didn't say it was a U.S. model. For that price it would have to be a Tribute. If it really is a U.S. model that's a steal and he should grab it before it's gone.
It is in fact a Tribute...forgot to mention that. I don't mind at all that it's made in Indonesia. The quality and feel on these things are amazing and I've always had good luck with guitars made there in the past.

Calebz

The biggest danger with HB guitars is inconsistency.

I have a couple (no TEs) And they punch well above their weight in a lot of ways. But they aren't for people that are afraid to take stuff apart.

I encourage people to buy some of the nicer HB guitars. Mahogany single cuts, Ash strats and télés.

Just buy them with the intention of putting some elbow grease into it. That way you get to be pleasantly surprised when you get one that doesn't need anything.

The GL is safer because you can play it first.

The upper end HBs make awesome modding/skills practice platforms

Wishing Wells

I just got in a TE-52 and really like it. Would definitely recommend it. It does have a flatter fretboard radius than the G&L so bear that in mind.

I was expecting to have to do some fretwork on it but after checking it with a fret rocker found it didn't really need it. Just a few tiny wobbles with the fret rocker here and there mainly along the A string. I did give them a good polish and now it feels really nice.

A few things you might not like is it has some weight to it. I'd say 9 lbs or more. Some of the tuners are a little hard to turn although they seem to hold tune well. The string ferrules were just loose in the body. Not glued or pressed in or anything.

It's probably a little rougher around the edges than the G&L but it feels and sounds great. You definitely get more than your money's worth out of it.

Trending Topics