Harmonic Design Super 90 vs Vintage Vibe SP-90

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tim Z, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

I am considering putting either a Harmonic Design Super 90 or a Vintage Vibe SP-90 in a strat bridge position. I hear great reviews about both, but wonder if they are pretty much the same sound, or if anyone knows of any differences between the two?

My only concern about doing this, is weather or not the strat will still have a decent "quack" in position 2. It will likely be used with Suhr FL's in the neck and middle positions. If not Suhr's, then probably Van Zandts.

Lastly, does anyone know if there is any difference between the Suhr Fletcher-Landau series and the Suhr Michael Landau series. Are they pretty much the same thing with the ML series being the newer model? I see that the FL series is no longer listed at the Suhr site.

Cheers
    Tim

2. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

NO, the Super 90 will lose your quack in position 2
    Also, if you do put one in the bridge, you'll need a tone control for it.

3. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

The FLs and MLs are the same pickups. Suhr just took fletcher's name out.

4. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

Thanks guys

I assumed that might be the case with the Suhr FL vs ML. So I guess no need to worry which series I get.

With regard to a tone control for strat bridge pups, that is a given with any strat. All my strats have been wired with a bridge tone control since 1970. I was just reading up on the Scott Henderson Suhr model and they have it wired so the tone controls are bypassed for positions 2 & 4. Man, I really need to wire mine that way as I hate having to sweep the bridge tone every time I switch between position 1 & 2. Anyone know where I can get a schematic for that wiring configuration?

Since I can't get any first hand feedback on the Super 90 vs SP-90, I think I may just go for a complete set of the Suhr ML's, especially if I can get it wired like the Scott Henderson model. Can't even find a decent demo of either pup on YouTube :huh