Harmonic Design Vintage Plus VS Lollar Special T serious

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jackroylee, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

For Tele Pickups,anyone tried them both before?Thanks!

2. erksin

erksin Member

Kinda?

I have a Special T and a HD STP which is basically the Vintage + Tele on a Strat bobbin.

The Special T has more mids and overall beef to it - at full bore it can get almost P-90ish type honk. The STP just sounds like a bigger Tele pickup - you'd never mistake it for anything else.

If you want versatility, I'd say go for the Lollar - rolling back your guitar's volume a little lessens the mids and brings it right back to Bakersfield. If you're more of a purist, the HD is a sweet higher output option.

3. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

4. j-bo

j-bo Member

rolling back your guitar's volume a little lessens the mids and brings it right back to Bakersfield.

I agree with erskin on the special T. ^

I've used both, but in different guitars/different bridges. A little hard for me to compare at this point.

Currently using the HD Vintage+ with a 250k vol. and tone. They recommend using 500k. It sounds great in parallel with the 62 ri or AV (whatever Fender calls it) in the neck. Fattens it up a bit. By itself it's darker with the 250k, but probably not as open as it could be. I like it that way though.

I'm getting another special T to try soon. I'm using a Glendale bridge with brass saddles on this particular guitar with the HD. The old guitar with the Special had a thick Gotoh 6 saddle bridge. I wasn't completely happy with it in that particular setup, but I think it had alot to do with the bridge and the wood. That guitar had a harsh response due to the sum of its parts. No fault of the pickup. I did get some good sounds with it though. Sounded awesome with the Vol rolled back just a little and plenty of girth wide open. Rock n Roll.

FWIW, i didn't like the traditional tele bridge or bridge pickup until i tried the Glendale. Good stuff. Sounds great.

I think both pickups rock.

Buy both and see what works for ya. That's what I'm going to do!