Harmonic design Z90's....any good for phat tone in an LP custom ???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Jul 11, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I have a set of KA HB sized P90's in my les paul custom, they're too thin and bright.I want to get fat dirty warm sounds out of it, like I can with the SD custom P90 in my hamer.
    Will the harmonic design Z90's give me that fat warm dirty sound??

2. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i just happened to play a set of those the other day. they were nice, but more buttoned down than dirty sounding. very articulate and round with a broad tonal spectrum, but not much mid growl like classic p90's (imo).
    hope that help - jv

3. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I heard a Harmonic Design Z-90 loaded LP DC once. It sounded like a satanic guttural roar and a choir of heavenly angels ...and I'm definitely getting a pair for the Thorn.

So that's; :Devil + :angel = :dude

Hope that helps.

4. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

That sound sgood!!Can you elaborate??!!

5. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

Not much. The guy only used that guitar for two or three songs, but I liked all the noises it made, from jingle-jangle to super-charged. They sounded very, very Hi-Fi to me, which means they'd require a lot of reigning in, but that gives you the depth and breadth to go looking for what you want, tonally-speaking. They didn't sound like they'd do Recto-type distortion though. But from clean spank to smooth overdrive, I think they do the business.

John's description of them as being, "...buttoned-down, articulate, but without the classic mid-range growl", is fairly spot-on, but you said you were after something with a fat warm and dirty sound. Well, in my limited experience of them, they do that in bucket-loads.

Regards,

Charly

6. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Cool!!Sounds like I'll live em.I find a lot of P90's a bit bright and thin, I like em warm fat and dark.

7. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i'm not sure about dark (which is pretty subjective anyway), but big and round and definitely "hi-fi" as charly mentioned seems right to me.

a lot will depend on your amp, guitar, and playing style, but they are definitely great sounding pup's. they're probably not as rock n roll as what we're used to hearing coming out of a classic les paul jr, but a more modern articulate sound.
    good luck and happy pup hunting - jv

8. AL30

AL30 Member

jv,

I've got a set of Z90's on the way. They should be here either this week or next. I'm dropping them in a 1980 Silverburst LP. I'll let you know. *Quick Tip* Remind me I said this in a week or two. I bought a house a few months ago and it's keeping me really busy - I can't seem to remember anything. The only things that seem to be running through my head are "gotta fix the plumbing" or "who the $#!! wired this?" or "Yes dear I'll get to that ASAP".

AL

9. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i'm babysitting a korina koll with hd s90's in it while a friend is out of town (nice friend, huh). my wife came home and saw me sitting on the couch with that very expensive guitar and gave me that look... you know the one :nono
    i quickly explained that it was a friend's guitar, as i already have a custom tele on the way this week. she seemed skeptical :)

anyway, it seems like all the hd stuff is very hi fi and super articulate. i would think you could do a lot with them and the right amp and playing dynamics.
    good luck - jv

10. mainsale

mainsale Member

The Fralin P-92's in my Les Paul Florentine are very PHAT sounding with excellent string articulation. They just might be your answer too.

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I am well-versed in HD Z90 lore, having them now on these two guitars of mine. Based on this experience, I agree 100% with everything johneeeveee has posted in this thread. As much as I LOVE these PUPs they would not be my #1 recommendation for what you're seeking, I think you'd be better off with Gibson P94s or Rio Grande Fat Bastards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

Warm, Yes. Fat, Yes. Dark, No. They're more Thick than Dark.

I should also point out that the LP DC was being played through a Matchless and Victoria double-amp set-up, so there was scope for a lot of high quality tone-sculpting, other than the pups.