Harmonic Design Z90s vs Duncan Antiquities?

Scooter

Silver Supporting Member
I know these are completely different beasts. I have Z90's in a Les Paul right now. I like them but they're almost TOO big and hi-fi. Surprisingly hot too. Someone suggested trying a set of Duncan Antiquities.

I like open, airy, clear, bright if you will, and low output but sounds great with OD. I don't like mid-heavy and nasally. Will the Antiquities do that for me?

Scooter

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I figured this was kind of an oddball comparison. Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts or observations. I'll probably just give the Antiquites a rip, but it would be good to know more going in.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I know these are completely different beasts. I have Z90's in a Les Paul right now. I like them but they're almost TOO big and hi-fi. Surprisingly hot too. Someone suggested trying a set of Duncan Antiquities.

I like open, airy, clear, bright if you will, and low output but sounds great with OD. I don't like mid-heavy and nasally. Will the Antiquities do that for me?
I don't think so.

>> airy, clear, bright if you will, and low output but sounds great with OD

You have lots of options available to you. Do your research, e.g.,

As just one quick example, HB-size Filtertrons would seem to fit your bill.

MSW

Not that it answers your question about the Duncans, but I had a Z90 in the neck position of my SG for a while. I wanted the same kind of tone you talk about, and the Z90 didn't give me that. I ended up replacing both pickups with a pair of Fralin P92s, which have been in there for nearly 8 years now. Might be something to check out.

illinimax

Platinum Supporting Member
Man, those Z90s are great pickups that do exactly as your tone objective suggests. Perhaps tweaking caps, pots, distance-to-string a better (cheaper) way to get where you want to go.

Mincer

Actually, I think they will. They are slightly scooped, airier, and not middy at all. They work amazingly with OD as well (just not very good with modern gain levels). The low output keeps the dynamics in tact.

Trending Topics