harmonic percolator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Jul 11, 2006.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i just dug mine out of the bottom of the gig bag because my univox superfuzz is at the tech because she is sick.
    while much different than the superfuzz, i'm diggin' it a lot right now.
    anybody else hip to 'the perc'.

2. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I'm into it. I'll never own one because of the collector prices but I am a Steve Albini fan for sure.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

really.
    i woulda never thunk of it as a 'collector' pedal at all. will wonders never cease. i dig albini and big black and rapeman and should have guessed that part of his tone is the harmonic percolator. it really lets the sound of the guitar thru and is usable all the way from the lowest gain settings to the 'full canadian', phasers on stun mode.
    how long has it been collectible? what prices is it getting?

4. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

There used to be a guy making a replica... Chuck Collins was the name I think. Also, a Canadian company was making something similar with a slight variation as I recall.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have one of those Chuck Collins remakes but haven't used it in awhile.

6. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's collectible like an old TS-808 but I've seen replicas go for $300 + every once in awhile on ebay. A HC forumite posted a Songbird link to a clone in Toronto going for about that about a month or two ago. To be honest though, I've NEVER seen an original for sale so I couldn't tell you what they would go for but if the clones give an idea....

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i visit songbird on a regular basis. i'm surprised i've never noticed it. but i rarely look at the pedals.
    hmm.

8. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The Urso Splinter is a cool pedal that is based on the Harmonic Percolator-Tone Factor sells them...

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

what kills me about the 'perc' is that despite it's pretenses as a fuzz pedal, when used at it's low gain settings, it really is a lovely 'boost' that lets the tone of the guitar and fingers shine thru unabashedly and yet adds this lovely 'sustainy' element to the sound w/o actually making it sound compressed.
    golly, that was a helluva long run-on sentence.
    in 'full canadian' mode' it's a really cool, distinctive sounding fuzz that sounds like heaven when strained thru and already cranked amp. the superfuzz ain't no slouch in that department, either. but turn down the gain on the superfuzz and U're left w/ thin, raspy, transistor tones.
    think i'll be using the harmonic percolator a lot more. it's been at the bottom of my effects bag for years and years, alone and forgotten and unused. my rediscovery of it is like a breath of fresh air.

10. dbx

dbx Member

could you post a pic of yours?...it is a rare effect, I've never seen an original up for sale...:cool:

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Non-Digital Tom or Analogman would have a better idea, but I suspect it's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" pedals. I've got one of Collins clones, nice OD/Fuzz, not sure it's the final word in anything, though...

12. retro

retro Member

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

no, certainly not a final word. not sure any pedal is. years ago when i bought it, i don't think i explored the lower end of it's gain settings. the cranked out sound is cool, but the ability to slide those faders up and down w/ the toe is quite intuitive.

14. dbx

dbx Member

Nice, thanks for that...I would hold on to it for sure...think of yourself as an "effects conservationist", but if you do decide to turn it loose...let me know...

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i have never sold a pedal.
    ever.
    now if someone were to offer me ONE BILLION DOLLARS each for my harmonic percolator and CJOD, i may consider it...
    had no idea the HP had a cult following. i thought it was just a neat little homegrowed pedal i picked up in chicago.

16. dbx

dbx Member

:D (I just bought some GAS, it'll have to wait 'til next month...)