Harmonix C9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hendrik7, Jan 14, 2015.

1. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Anyone have the C9 yet?

Not many demos out there.

Could it be used like the Micro Pog for ambient sounds?

Thanks!

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I have it. It's a nice complement to the B9. I don't know anything about the Micro Pog but the C9 has the Shimmer and Mellotron settings that are great for ambient sounds.

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I tried one at band practice and I loved it!!! I love adding some shimmer under my normal guitar sound, which comes out more as I stop playing. But the buffer in it kills my fuzzes, so I need to put it in an fx loop or true bypass it. the sounds are awesome.

4. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

When you say the buffer killed your fuzzes, could you please explain? I have run fuzzes after and haven't really noticed a problem. Thanks!

5. analogmike

Old style fuzzes like a Fuzzface don't work with buffers in front of them, they won't clean up and they sound shrill. I first noticed it when I could not get a decent sound out of my Astro Tone which is usually not as sensitive as the germanium fuzzes.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

The Astro Tone being silicon based?

7. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Like its brother, the B9, it sounds amazing.

8. analogmike

Here is the manual from an original 1960's Astro-Tone fuzz. Note what they say about germanium transistors!

[​IMG]

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ASTRO-TONE

The new Astro-Tone distortion generator is the finest, most flexible, most durable unit of its kind available. One look at the heavy-duty cast housing will tell you that this unit is built to last. The hardest professional use will not affect the Astro-Tone.. The semi-conductors used in the Astro-Tone are all silicon. Many distortion generators still use germanium transistors, not the Astro-Tone. Forget about temperature changes altering the sound quality. Forget about maintenance. Most of all, forget about buying a replacement; you won't need one. This unit will last and sound better than any distortion generator you have heard before.