Harmony Central beta site: worst update ever?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GA19RVT, Dec 26, 2009.

1. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

What the heck is this all about? Is it another joke by the "hackers" who took HC down for all that time? I got an email inviting me to take a look at the new harmony central build. Can't for the life of me figure out what they're trying to do---it's slower, there's less to see, and it's a mystery to me how to actually find stuff. Tell me I'm old and wrong, please.

http://harmonycentral.hosted.jivesoftware.com/index.jspa

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

Hmmm.
    It's not very good from a forum standpoint.

The discussion area is very small.
    Almost useless for actual discussion.

3. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

:messedup
    looks like 90% emphasis has been on aesthetic.
    UI is crap. content is crap.

hopefully they can get something else going very soon.

4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

They are outsourcing the solution to jivesoftware. Probably for security reasons given their recent experience.

The hosted beta site is probably much slower than the final deployment.

5. V-Type

V-Type Member

I have been there for years but the new look and functionality they are instituting will probably lead too a mass migration of HC members too other boards such as TGP,Rig-Talk,etc...
    Just as well.

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I haven't been on HC for a couple of years. I politely challenged a technical comment someone made and his response was "Because, F**k you a**hole!". My response was :facepalm and I never bothered going back.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

9. pixelchemist

pixelchemist Member

From my perspective as someone who has spent the last 12 years of my life working in advertising as an sr. interactive developer and even longer as a creative for some of the top ad agencies in the world on many of the biggest brands in the world.

I can honestly say that the update is one of the worst executions i have seen in a long time... they completely ignored usability, it doesn't scale, there is no hierarchy of emphasis on elements, and it looks dated before it even launched. I am sure they have put a ton of money into it though and it's too late to turn back (without someone having to take the fall, which we all know wont ever happen, corporate politics at its best)

a forum is first and foremost a tool for the end user and they got it backwards by putting design (and terribly execution at that) up front.

It's a failure as a marketing tool and a failure as tool for the end user. The only party that is going to ultimately benefit from this is the developers they hired to take on the task and the next set they hire to replace it when they see their usage numbers start dropping.

10. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Nice!

11. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Well I haven't checked anything but this is the most constructive post I've seen today. Sweet amp. :aok

12. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

I don't use HC much at all, maybe a little research... tried the site, and commented back to them much the same. Not user friendly, scrolling will suck, and search engine is useless at this juncture. It's just another BLIG re-hash, exactly what it looks and acts like - not interested.

13. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Is Playboy one of the brands you've worked with lol? This is exactly what went down with our forums. At least we went back to the way it was.

14. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I think that that "mass migration" started some time ago.... to the detriment of TGP.