Harmony Rocket with Truss Rod Question

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all !

When Harmony went to a truss rod in the Rocket, did they change neck wood or is/was it still poplar ? THX!

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like Poplar to me.

Thanks. My tech, who's also a luthier, couldn't believe how strong poplar is as a wood. Why Harmony went to a truss rod flies in the face of the logic that the neck/neck wood contributes to a guitar's tone and thus if you eliminate some of mass by cutting in a truss rod, you alter/soften/weaken the tone. Comments ?

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
You're adding mass by installing a truss rod and most guitars (including Harmony) that don't have an ADJUSTABLE truss rod still have a non-adjustable truss rod. On your old Harmony that says "Steel reinforced neck"- it has a steel rod in the center.

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
You're adding mass by installing a truss rod and most guitars (including Harmony) that don't have an ADJUSTABLE truss rod still have a non-adjustable truss rod. On your old Harmony that says "Steel reinforced neck"- it has a steel rod in the center.

Thanks - I'd forgotten 'bout the ' SRN'

Looks like Poplar to me.

Yes, I refinned the neck on mine and it sure looked like poplar.

I believe that is why the neck "took off" so soon on me after I bought the guitar, new.

And I think that's why the guitar sounded like poop next to a Gibson ES I had access to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom