• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Harmony Rocket with Truss Rod Question

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all !

When Harmony went to a truss rod in the Rocket, did they change neck wood or is/was it still poplar ? THX!

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like Poplar to me.
Thanks. My tech, who's also a luthier, couldn't believe how strong poplar is as a wood. Why Harmony went to a truss rod flies in the face of the logic that the neck/neck wood contributes to a guitar's tone and thus if you eliminate some of mass by cutting in a truss rod, you alter/soften/weaken the tone. Comments ?

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
You're adding mass by installing a truss rod and most guitars (including Harmony) that don't have an ADJUSTABLE truss rod still have a non-adjustable truss rod. On your old Harmony that says "Steel reinforced neck"- it has a steel rod in the center.

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
You're adding mass by installing a truss rod and most guitars (including Harmony) that don't have an ADJUSTABLE truss rod still have a non-adjustable truss rod. On your old Harmony that says "Steel reinforced neck"- it has a steel rod in the center.
Thanks - I'd forgotten 'bout the ' SRN'

Looks like Poplar to me.
Yes, I refinned the neck on mine and it sure looked like poplar.

I believe that is why the neck "took off" so soon on me after I bought the guitar, new.

And I think that's why the guitar sounded like poop next to a Gibson ES I had access to.

Trending Topics