• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Harrison or McCartney

Harrison or MCartney - Choose

• Harrison

• McCartney

Results are only viewable after voting.

tjmicsak

OK I will say George. I liked his writing quite a bit more when it was not influenced by the politics or eastern Krishna stuff. The harmonized slide work he did was nothing less than trademark.
Paul wrote great tunes and had the ability to make volumes of works more than George, but the melodies just were so generic while well written. I do however think that the solo guitar on My Love is awesome, as well as the intro to Band on the Run.
I think George was more risk taking on chord progressions such as the use of counterpoint melody to the chord movement on Something. He also did quite creative solos that although sound routine, when you try and play them they are not, as in Let it Be.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Scarlett Johansson :drool

BTW, the Beatles are dead!

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
George:
It seems to me that Paul needed John to pull the best out of him (and vice-versa) whereas George just seemed to be able to tap into himself without anyone pulling it out of him.

H_V_C

George:
It seems to me that Paul needed John to pull the best out of him (and vice-versa) whereas George just seemed to be able to tap into himself without anyone pulling it out of him.
That's sounds interesting.. What makes you say that?

BTW, George has always been one of my favorite guitarists (and songwriters) but in Geoff Emerick's book "Here there and Everywhere", he states that they really had to labor over George's solo's in the studio, even saying that they were the hardest part of the recording process of the Beatles because George had so much trouble getting them right. Of course that's just one person saying that.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
I look at their respective post-Beatles output, and in spite of Paul's sometimes saccharine work, he is still miles above the others.

kevo

I think Long, Long, Long by George is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.
Paul wrote all those amazing melodies that made The Beatles famous.

It's hard to decide for me but I'd say overall I like Paul's work better.

Btw, check out his new Fireman album. I think he's smoking pot again which is great.

Aardvark

Gold Supporting Member
I look at their respective post-Beatles output, and in spite of Paul's sometimes saccharine work, he is still miles above the others.
Compared to George's first album 'All Things Must Pass' and his last, 'Brainwashed', Paul's post-Beatles work seems precious and mundane.

franksguitar

Are we comparing strictly writing or guitar playing of 2 Beatles. The question needed to be more specific since MCCartney also played guitar on some cuts. We all know the Lennon-MCCartney writing thing compared to the fewer gems Harrison wrote got on recordings with the Beatles (ie. While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something) besides the solo Krishna laden stuff and overdone slide playing. I think George's legacy is the Beatles guitar solos, simplicity but just right for the song (some great ones were Nowhere Man & And Your Bird Can Sing not to mention all the great hooks like Paperback Writer, Day Tripper, Ticket to Ride etc.) as examples.

JELLIS

As the OP said, it is absurd. The 4 Beatles are forever linked, words won't change what they did. To think that they formed the most prolific and amazing group in history, less than ten years after electric guitars became prominent in popular music...it is just phenomenal.

I think many forget that they were born and raised in England in the 1940's and 50's.
A country that had, at one time, ruled the world. The English, on one hand, a people ruled by a few who waged war upon all others...On the other hand, a peaceful people who love nature, music and beer.
The Beatles were not born into poverty, they were working class Brits, not easy in the cold dark days of World War II. As toddlers, they witnessed the German bombings, saw some of the horror and remained alive to tell the tales.

Their wealth, in later years, is a good example of greed. However, I think that, even as adults, they remained decent people. Jeez, I wish John and George were here now, to help me sort thru all the crap.

Volumes have been written
Films have been made
Television shows have been made
Commercials
Civil rights
Politics
Economies
Joy
Wonder
Beauty
Anger
Fashion
Love

Societies have changed, not always for the better, don't blame the Beatles.

They heard the tough questions, they tried to answer the tough questions, they were more
than mere mortals.

The Beatles were messengers.

Last edited:

Trending Topics