Harry Joyce Custom 50 in the house!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by enharmonic, Jul 6, 2006.

1. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

With special thanks to Fretmaster. Had he not bought my Wizard, I would not have been able to pick up this amp.

As much as I love the Modern Classic, the HJ really has exceeded my expectations. I knew that it would be very similar to the rhythm channel of the Wizard based on my experience with the original HJ's, but I was not prepared for the latest version. It picks up where the earlier version of the circuit left off...more of the great HJ tone, and somehow bigger. Now, the Wizard is a BIG sounding amp...huge in fact...but it's big in a different way. The mids of the HJ have more "throat" to 'em. The HJ has all of the attack of the Wizard, with added girth in the mids. The Wizard is slightly bigger on the bottom when both amps are diled in at noon. The HJ can get there, but you have to dial in more bass.

These are admittedly similar animals...both having one foot in the Hiwatt camp when it comes to definition, clarity, and tightness. The Wizard has more of the Marshall thing going on, while the HJ sounds like a really sweet, dialed in Hiwatt that has been blessed by the Gods of girth and harmonic content. They would sound completely sick together.

Harry's partner Geroge Scholz is back in limited production on the HJ amps, and is building them to the final version of the circuit that he and Harry had agreed on prior to Harry's death. They sound very similar to the original HJ'...the only discernable difference I have made so far is in the bigger, thicker sound of the midrange. It's also dead quiet...so quiet in fact that I thought it was broken when I first turned it on :D...absolutely silent.

I was able to get a lot of Rich Robinson-esque sounds going. I nailed his tone on "Places" straight away...which was something that I had hoped would be possible. The amp can be diled in for pulverizing vintage gain, or a very sweet, Gilmour-esque clean, and all points in between. It will take me a few more days of playing before I have it dialed in with my pedals, but when it comes to going straight into the amp, the Hj makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck in a good way.

:dude

2. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

PICS! :Spank

3. samtheman

samtheman Member

...yes, we need pics !

:horse

4. enharmonic

I'll try to snap some this weekend, but in the meantime, here's couple of the last one to roll off the assembly line

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i definitely agree. the harry joyce is a great amp. i haven't played the old ones but i'm really liking this new one i have.

hey enharmonic, what speakers/cab are you playing through? i've found that it really sounds better with the scholz speakers compared to my orange with heritage g12h30's.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=11374308&uid=4797701&members=1

take a look at the pics. i also added(all nos) one tesla and 3 mullard preamp tubes. it added alot more bass and gain. i've got two mullard el34's that i want to add also.

and here's a crappy vid of me playing the hj(recorded with camera mic). there's also some delay that makes it funky to watch. anyway you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Az_ryU_Lg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iXMUtWXL4

6. enharmonic

I am playing through a Swanson cab built to Orange dimensions, and loaded with Scholz 12's. I've had 2 or 3 HJ cabs (can't remember for sure...lol) and seem to have married my favorite cab design with my favorite speakers.

I haven't popped open the back of mine to see what kind of tubes George is installing, but whatever he's using sounds great. I had NOS glass in my original HJ...still have a quad of the Sylvania EL34's that I might put in at some point. Had George do the Rich mod to mine (hard-wired channel jumper)...sounds silly!

I am going to hook up the Meathead Deluxe tomorrow...should move the Earth a bit off its axis :p

7. Chevelle

Chevelle Member

I got to meet George down here in Hollywood. A very nice guy. Took time out to show me what he was working on. He put some fresh caps in my Supro in the midst of a lot of other work he had going. Cool dude!

Entering his shop was like walking into a superweapon labratory. These magnificent speakers and bullet-proof amps all lined up.

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

do you mean the last one as in "the last one recently" or do you mean that as in "the last one ever"

9. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

IS there a site up yet on these?

10. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

I have to say that your write up on the head is spot on. Here is a pic og mine - I run it with two Schotlz speakers in my JDesign cab - it sounds huge!!

[​IMG]I

[​IMG]

11. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

how loud was the amp turned up!

I noticed mom cooking in the kitchen and she wasnt to pissed.

was she wearing ear plugs?

What were those settings? Can you get more gain?

12. enharmonic

These are pics of the one that came off the bench before mine...which I think might have been laurencer83's amp, based on when I received the pics. I placed my order shortly thereafter.

Gonna fire it up again in about an hour. I'll provide more feedback as I get it dialed in even closer to where I'll ultimately set it and forget it. The tone controls are really subtle. It's simple to get a great sound just by plugging in and turning on, but the range of colors available when you start tweaking the knobs are unlike anything I've ever experienced in a single channel amp.

13. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

Hey enharmonic:

you got any new clips up with the amp?

your new music section doesnt have too much guitar on it!

not quite what i was expecting after clicking over to it on a thread about guitar amps.

i liked em though, just not much guitars:RoCkIn

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i can't remember specifically how loud it was. but yeah, you can get more gain! i think i was playing through the lo input on the normal channel. if you play through the hi input or link the channels you can get plenty of gain(for me). i guess they're(mom/dad) so used to me practicing that they don't get bothered. but the neighbours do!

one thing to keep in mind is that this amp(and most tube amps) needs to be turned up to fully appreciate what it can do. when the power tubes start cookin you can really feel the bass come in and that's what makes everything sound big!

15. enharmonic

I would agree, the master volume is typical for this style of amp. Anything below noon doesn't really represent the tone of the amp as well as it could. I wouldn't call this a bedroom amp by any stretch. The good news is that with the master volume at noon, it won't kill small woodland creatures at 100 yards :D

Wide open is great when you can get away with it, but noon will work for most situations.

16. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Looks nice Rob! I'll bet that thing on ten is pretty smokin'.

17. enharmonic

Clips coming soon. The Myspace page contains bits and pieces of a much bigger puzzle. Fear not, there will be loads of guitar in the finished product :D

George, I think you'd dig the HJ. I'm using pedals for higher gain, but I'm actually enjoying that for a change. When it comes to guitar-cable-amp, the HJ is the only amp I've ever played that can really go toe to toe with a Wizard.

18. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

yeah, please post clips when you get a chance!

19. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Sounds like it would be right up my ally. I've always liked those Hiwatts. Ive been sorta looking at that Reeves 30 with the power scaling, not that I need another amp :jo