Hartman Electric Mistress Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveukRN, Mar 27, 2008.

1. DaveukRN

DaveukRN Member

2. woude

woude Member

wow, seems like a nice pedal! I'm downloading the audio sample now.

3. DaveukRN

DaveukRN Member

Unfortunately the audio sample on the site doesnt go into any depth, it would be great to hear the full range of what its capable of.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

I'm excited about this one too.:drool

5. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

that looks sweet. I wonder if he took care of the infamous volume drop?

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

Very interesting been waiting for someone to clone the original for a while now I just wish the box wasn't designed horizontal because it takes up too much pedalboard space.

7. davidmullis

davidmullis Member

Placed an order for one last week. I'll post a review when it turns up.

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

Please do because the clip on the site is a bit lame.

9. geetarman

geetarman Member

Anybody get one of these yet?

10. arvee72

arvee72 Member

:rolleyes:

11. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I just got one. I was so jazzed for this pedal, but I'm pretty disappointed.

The volume drop is there, and it is much worse than is present on my original Mistress. Turning it on cuts the low end so much it's like turning the amp down a number or two. There also are lots of ramp up/ramp down warbly noises audible in the output of the pedal, and it makes R2 D2 sounds from time to time.

Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe my original is way different than the one they based this on, but it looks like it's not for me. I was GASsing for this SO much, but I really don't like it. :(

12. geetarman

geetarman Member

That's too bad I hoped it would address those issues and then some. :(

13. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Isn't that what it is supposed to do :rotflmao

14. theohartman

theohartman Member

hey mj-from your description of the sound(s) you're getting it's likely one of the internal trimpots in your flanger needs to be adjusted, p.m. or email me if you want and i'll go over it with you. -t

15. MjCartney

Thanks Theo! I appreciate the offer. PM on it's way...

16. Zillie

Zillie Member

MjCartney, could you make a photo with other pedals to let me know how big it is, please?

17. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Let us know if these issues get solved, I'm interested in this pedal too.

Theo just emailed the dimensions last week...Here you go :

"The case is 4-5/8” x 5-5/8”. 1-9/16” high, but assume about 2” when you include knobs and switches. I/O and power jacks are all on north end."

18. meterman

meterman Member

I'd love to hear more about this, I've been waiting for someone to do this for several years. I've had a '78 Deluxe and currently have a '77 original model and have never played a more musical flanger that could do such beautiful chorus too and even a decent leslie sim. Mine were modded by Howard Davis (true bypass, volume drop fixed, and trimpots tweaked) and sound truly amazing, but at the same time big and noisy. If someone could make a smaller (like Menatone sized, 1590BB?) and quiet version I think it would do quite well. This one is still a bit big but looks well made, I'd like to hear more, especially a clip with some overdrive on it...

19. MjCartney

Here’s a photo of how it compares to some form factors I think you will recognize.

[​IMG]
    By mjcartney at 2008-04-27

It's a bit larger all around than an EH XO or Emma box, but smaller than the original battery powered Mistress housing.

L:5 5/8" W:4 5/8" H:1.5" box only, 2 3/8" w/knobs

Long story short, this pedal has a really nice sound and Theo Hartman provides above and beyond support, but I’m on the fence as to whether or not I should keep the pedal. It sounds fabulous, but it's not everything I thought it would be.

Why I wanted this pedal: I have an old Mistress & wanted that sound on my board again, but didn’t want to take the pedal out. It’s just too fragile and too big to gig, so I’ve been waiting for a surrogate to come along. What I really want is the Mistress version of what the Retro-Sonic Chorus is to the CE-1, the same classic sound without any of the problems of old.

Theo’s pedal build is far superior to the original Mistress, and his construction is top notch. He’s made quite a few changes, but his pedal is very similar to the original Mistress. The same sound is there, but so are some of the same peccadillos.

Pros:
    • The sound is excellent to my ears. My tastes in flange are along the lines of Andy Summers work with the Police. This is the real deal.
    • The build quality is fantastic. Clean, neat layout. No goop.
    • Theo is just awesome to deal with. He’s been providing me with info & helping me work with the pedal all weekend. You couldn't ask for better.
    Cons:
    • Volume drop. It’s pretty pronounced. It’s a bit better running at 12V than at 9V, but still a problem for me. Theo is helping me safely experiment running it at different voltages to see if it makes a significant difference. I also found that if I have some kind of a buffer in front of it, like a stock Tube Screamer in bypass, the volume drop is a bit less than just running into the pedal alone.
    • Minor problem with the board layout – The trim pot for the clock rubs up tight against a capacitor, making it hard to adjust & it makes the cap sit at an angle. This is the only weak spot in an otherwise beautiful layout, and it’s a very minor niggle. If I keep the pedal, maybe I’ll move the cap to the other side of the board to give it some real vintage EH mojo. ;)
    Other concerns, but not really….
    • The gold knobs are really pretty, but you can’t tell where they are set at unless you eyeball the set screw from the side. Not good for tweaking on a stage as is, but you can always put some different knobs on it. If I keep the pedal, I think I’ll put some cream colored Fender amp knobs on it. The ones that are knurled & have a black radius line on them would be functional, and might look kind of nice too.
    • Noise – This is inherent to the Mistress circuit and really is part of her charm if you ask me. When I received the Hartman pedal it produced a lot of non-musical artifacts that I didn’t like at all. After Theo’s help with some internal tweaking, it now has a faint, gentle, and soothing swoosh like my Mistress does. It’s really a beautiful thing.
    • Expensive. Then again, everything seems to be...
    My overall impression: This pedal sounds very nice. It captures the vibe of the original, is solidly built, and is well supported by the manufacturer. If you want the Mistress sound, it definitely is here. If you will use this pedal primarily for studio work, it will probably suit your needs very well. If you will use this pedal primarily for live use, there may be some challenges for you with this pedal.

For me, the volume drop is a big headache. After trying it out my initial thoughts were that I should just return the pedal and wait and see if Theo makes a version 2 that eliminates the volume drop, or to see if Retro-Sonic jumps in with a Mistress clone sometime in the future. However the sound is so good, that I’m trying to talk myself into keeping it anyway, even though I can’t really use it the way I originally intended. The bottom line is, it sounds great . What's a pedal junkie to do?

20. stekks

stekks Member

Maybe add a FoxRox wah-retrofit? It's not what it's designed for, but there's a trimpot on it to boost the signal. Might be small enough to fit in the case.. (but check it first, if you decide to go this route)