Harvard 5F10 with a 12" speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Does a tweed Harvard 5F10 clone with a larger cabinet and 12" speaker sound fat like a tweed Deluxe 5E3?
    I Know the Harvard has a cleaner sound, I'm interested in the difference in their tone and fullness.

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I built one myself. It's relatively juicy, IMO. Not quite as squishy as some 5E3s will get...I have some videos of mine, but the video was made before loaded it in (I started out with a smaller cab and an old C10Q, which I thought sounded great...I just wanted a slightly bigger sound).

But I do have an old video of my old original 5F10 with a G12H30 in it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    bobotwt and Soothsayer like this.
  3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Thanks Leon.

I'm wondering if the different value of some caps make the Deluxe a fatter tone?

4. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I personally like this tone much better than a Deluxe. It's plenty thick with the strat, but I bet it matches up great with a Gibson! All the tweed Deluxes I have owned/played, both vintage and clones, have sounded too aggressive for my taste. They sound great, but just more gain that comes on too fast. This seems much more versatile. This will be my next circuit to build!

MRscratch likes this.
  5. Leonc

Yes, but those larger coupling caps are only part of the reason. There are other parts (e.g. transformers), other circuitry (e.g., cathode vs. fixed bias and other differences), and other design elements (e.g., cab size, etc.) that contribute as well. In short, pretty much everything matters.

TPC168 and rockindog like this.
  6. terrapin

terrapin Member

Very cool Leon! Question....do you generally like the G12H30 for Fender Tweed-like circuits? I have a Richter RS-22 6V6 powered 22 watt 5F6A currently running. Jensen Jet Electric Lightning. It is a nice speaker, but I have always loved the tight, round bass response of the G12H30, but I don't want the amp to start sounding British (LOL).

TPC168 likes this.
  7. RJLII

RJLII Member

I have a Victoria Ivy League 5F10 with a 12" Legend in it. It sounds very sweet, and as Leon states it's not loose and squishy like a 5E3. It sounds great with anything I plug in to it. My R6 with P90's sounds especially nice.

rockindog likes this.
  8. Trout

Trout Member

Hey,, found this on Richter's support forum.
    Not especially scientific but its interesting to hear those speakers side by side.

Amplifiers are 3 identical RS-22's, all knobs set to same settings.
    Test Speakers,
    Left Amp = Jensen Electric Lightning
    Center Amp = Celestion Vintage 30
    Right Amp = Celestion G12H 30

http://youtu.be/CP4LmU9c4DA

http://youtu.be/y7puM7hEm7E

http://youtu.be/ildO3OKurVQ

http://youtu.be/erAEJ-7jv1U

9. terrapin

terrapin Member

Thanks so much for that! From those clips I would have to say the Electric Lightning sounded best. Too much "sizzle" in the V30 and G12H30. Think I will stick to the Jensen for now.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've had both. To me the Harvard is cleaner and fuller. Possibly less of a one trick pony than the 5E3. The 5E3 gets fat and smooth playing leads etc when cranked, but is pretty jangly to my ears otherwise... I had a well broken in Weber 12F150 in my Harvard. I had a couple 5E3's none sounded full to me.

11. rockindog

rockindog Member

I also own a Victoria Ivy League and can't say enough good things about this amp. Mine came with a 10" Legend and I'm running an RCA 6AV6 preamp tube (like 1/2 of a 12AX7) in V1. My amp has ample low end, even with the 10" speaker. I suppose Mark Baier voiced the amp to work well with a 10" speaker. Anyway, the sound from this little tweed tone-monster is absolutely magnificent. The sound is substantially tighter and more controlled than its cousin, the Deluxe.

Most of the time I play it with my Collings I35-LC semi-hollowbody. It a match made in tone heaven. IMO the Ivy League and the Fender Harvard are one of the most under appreciated tweed amps in existence. I couldn't be happier with this amp and recommend it highly.

12. Laurence

Laurence Supporting Member

I have the one Swiveltung built, and it is way tighter and punchier than my TV deluxe (not close to a 5E3). The 5F10 stays cleaner louder.

13. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Nothing against 12's but, I've got an allesandro 10 in my Ivy League and it sounds huge. Loud too.

14. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I'm currently gigging with a 5F10 head - built by Jim at L'il Dawg. AMAZING amp. Perfect gig machine. And I play it through an Avatar Traditional 1X12 open back and it kills my other maps. HUGE/Tons of low-end... tight, not loose and flabby like a 5E3. Using a Jupiter Alnico right now.. best I've tried so far (Celestion Gold, Veteran 30, Jensen Jet Lightning, Celestion Creamback are others I've tried... the Jupiter beats them all). I play a Tuttle Strat, a Fender HH strat, a PRS SAS w/ 58/08 Narrowfields and a 59/09 in the bridge, and a G&L Comanche with Z-coils... all sound great through this amp/cab combo.

15. Rick51

Rick51 Member

When I think 5F10 Harvard, I'm thinking early Cropper with Booker T. Sounds like this:

And this,

My 5E3 nails that sound, Tele with Fender OVs.

So I think maybe they aren't that different. If you have a 5E3 and want to stiffen up the low end, add a choke in the power supply. Bruce Collins at Mission has a little kit for that, won't cost much.

16. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja Member

I'm curious about this question, too. I have a Harvard chassis with a 10" external speaker. It sounds great. I want to put it all in a cabinet, but I wonder if a 12" speaker will kill the mojo of the 10" original Harvard sound. This thread got off track real quick. It wasn't supposed to be a comparison between the 5E3 and 5F10. If anybody has any thoughts on the Harvard and speaker combinations, then please chime in.

17. Leonc

Listen to my video, posted just above. Original Harvard with a baffle for a 12" spkr. You can make your own choice about whether or not the vibe is killed. I don't think it is. ..but it's changed a bit.

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a couple Harvard clones. I have played the circuit with 10, 2 x 10, 12, 2x12, and a 15. It sounds good no matter what speaker you use. I don't feel that there is a ton of difference between them. Use whatever one you want.

19. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja Member

I'm glad to see that you can put a 12" in there. It's hard to AB them though when it's not right in front of you. Thanks.

20. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja Member

Good to know! There are a lot more 12" cabs available than 10"s, so that makes a difference. I only have A 10", so unless I compare it to the same Weber Ferromax in a 12" it's hard to tell.