Has a bad graphic ever prevented you from buying a pedal?

etc

It matters, but only to a point. I really don't care for how the Strymon stuff looks, but ended up getting an El Capistan anyways. It just sounded too good.

The Greenhouse pedals with all the death and suicide graphics prevented me from buying the Stonefish chorus even though I like the sound of it. Overall, I like either graphic intensive or minimalist as long as it looks good.

Really? I love all the graphics on the Greenhouse pedals.
To each his own though!

Gumbygreeneye

I started a thread on avoiding certain pedals because of name, which on the surface is just as "superficial" as this. The reality I see is that a great many pedals actually retread the same ground or have big areas of overlap, which is why we can indulge in preferred names, preferred builders, preferred graphics and so forth.

Sometimes if I'm on pedal site selling 20-30 manufacturers, often the name or graphic is what first pulls me in to take a closer look.

Personally, I'm not a fan of overly fussy graphics or overly cartoony graphics. I love the look of Strymon, Analogman and Iron Ether. I love my Double Hotcake but boy is it boring looking in beige.

kp8

I hit 2 of my recent excessively ZANY electro harmonix pedals with rattle can.

Happen to be painting something at the time. figured, i am not ever selling them so why not.

Problem solved.

Zaniness removed.

Frosted Glass

A few years back someone posted a link to an ebay listing of someone selling a later era klon who had hand drawn (badly) a centaur figure in the bottom left corner with a sharpie. It was laughable.

tremolo3

Absolutely, we all are here because of the high res pics in the pedalboards threads anyway.

crambone

Not logos but over the top artwork or bad words would discourage me from buying a pedal. If the pedal was really good I would probably re-house it or cover up the offending words.

I'm guilty of not buying anything that doesn't look pleasing... blame it on my education as an architect or just inherent love of cool-looking things.

I'd happily design a pedal for you, whoever you are, as long as it sounds decent and you send me a sample. You can track down my contact information at www.mtparchitecture.com if you're not just being a smartass. I love graphic design, and often enter competitions that offer no compensation unless you win. Working for free is just part of the game when you're trying to make a name for yourself as a designer.
Interesting. Yeah I'll follow up, I have to finish what I'm working on. So, my week timeline was absurd. I've bookmarked your page.

NotWesYet

I once bought a pedal because of its looks. It was so "politically incorrect" and totally out of character for the quiet "jazzer" that all my friends roared in laughter when they saw it. Yes, the nipple light up when the pedal is engaged.

thecornman

If you don't like the way a pedal looks then make it look how you want to! It is really not rocket science to repaint it. Takes less then 5 min. to gut it. Grab yourself some sand paper, can of spray paint, can of clear coat, cheap stickers or decals and some cheap bulk knobs from china.

Here is a few I have done.

Garagetone Chainsaw Distortion and Biyang Baby Boom Max Distortion.

Biyang Baby Boom Phaser and Eno OCD Clone.

OHSOFUZZY

Appearance of pedal doesn't matter to me.

Usually cost is my only limiting factor on something I'm intereted in.

I don't care if it's pink, yellow, brown, or if it has newt genrich naked fisting a hollowed out watermelon, while mickey mouse watches and takes a dump on a burning american flag.

sounds good, well made, and affordable. Thats all that matters.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
It hasn't yet, but certainly would/could....and I'm probably the stereotypical reason it would: I play P&W at church and also have small kids that enjoy looking at my board/pedals.

I've had a Big Muff on my board forever, its subtle/innuendo enough not to bother me; I've also had several of the MXR Badass pedals and I always end up taping over the word "Badass."

I'd never attempt to put something like the Greenhouse pedals or some of the Wren and Cuff (Phat Phuk, Hangman, etc) on my board...too much to cover with tape/etc, for me they're somewhat in bad taste anyway, and who wants to sand/refinish a $200+ pedal and ruin its value.

Having said that, I do like attractive/striking graphics on pedals -- the Catalinbread and Mojohand, as others have mentioned, stand out to me as being very cool. I also like the simplicity of Boss, MXR, others.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
Well I wanted the wren and cuff tri pi but but I kind of didn't want to suffer the abuse from my wife.
Call me dumb, naive, etc....but what is on that pedal's graphic? I've never looked to close, but at passing glance thought it was a flower.

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
I may avoid stupid looking pedals, but if it sounds great, just change it's appearance.
Duct Tape always is, and always will be, your friend.

Trending Topics