• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Has a bad graphic ever prevented you from buying a pedal?

Empros

Graphics have never prevented me from buying a pedal, but I think they're certainly important. Having something that functions, sounds and looks great is the best, it's the full package!

papersun

I can't think of a time where I actively thought, "I'm down to these two pedals and I'll go with this one because it's prettier," but I'm sure it's happened.

jAcKoFsPeEd

Graphics......color......size, affect my buying decisions all the time, but there are plenty out there to chose from.......I've got two 28"x16" Trailer Trash ProSeries boards with fifteen pedals on each and about twenty pedals that get rotated in boxes in the closet.

davetcan

" Call me dumb, naive, etc....but what is on that pedal's graphic? I've never looked to close, but at passing glance thought it was a flower."

Perhaps if you looked at the entire image .... :aok

Meriphew

If it's a toss up between two similar pedals, I will always choose the one that is most aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. If it was the only pedal that did what it did, then I'd just strip the paint off of it..

TheGuildedAge

I don't have a single piece of gear I bought for looks: guitars, amps, or pedals.

I am superficial though. I don't like scratches on stuff unless I put it there, used gear bugs me.

If I were a touring, signed pro, it would be fun to have a color coded board and stuff where everything is one color and looks cool. But for now, I don't worry about it too much.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
I love cool looking pedals but they have to be good sounding. It thrills me to no end that the Empress Compressor is awesome looking. I really wanted a Little Dipper but had no need. The Wampler "Talent Booster" is almost hilarious enough to try just because of the name, "Hold on guys I think this lead break calls for the old Talent Booster." I love the less graphic pedals like the Supernatural and the Empress analog delay. I once upon a time had an original Skreddy Lunar Module with the lunar module (one of the coolest looks ever IMHO) and Wampler Pinnacle (beautiful shiny red) and a Tim (the most awesome blue pedal on the market). That was a beautiful line-up but all are gone as looks are not the most important feature but I appreciate good looks and hate to buy ugly pedals.

John H

Gold Supporting Member
I got rid of my Gaspedals Carb because the graphic looked just like a woman I'd known - too many unpleasant memories.

blobe

Of course, i didn't buy the zonk from prymaxe when they were doing the 20% rebate cause it's butt ugly.

Twangzilla

I definitely would avoid a pedal that could come off as racist or sexist, etc but if a pedal was great and just looked stupid/boring it could make its way onto my board. I am sure I favor some pedals based on aesthetics but I also dig pedals that are ridiculously ugly for the novelty.

Greedo88

I for one would seriously help out any small boutique pedal maker dirt cheap just to ensure their product looks as good as it sounds.. I also know that once the lights go down and the stage lights go on, the only thing that matters is tone. I get it.. But it still bugs me. Just my two cents.
Could you post some of your designs?

Psyfuzz

The EHX Tone Tattoo, never heard anybody on here using one (and yes, I'm aware TGP isn't that pedal's demographic), but still...

This thing looks like Ed Hardy's vomit after swallowing some glow-sticks....

MogwaiBoy

Perfect example of why graphics are often unnecessary. If you house a pedal in an enclosure with a great paint finish then graphics just detract from that awesome finish... so you just need clean readable fonts and minimal clutter in an attractive enclosure. The MXR Carbon Copy is a great example.. still to this day the Carbon Copy has one of the most eye catching finishes ever - dark forest green sparkle... wow! I don't think i've seen it done anywhere else either.

Things that I find more aesthetically pleasing than fancy graphics..

- A great colour and finish
- LED style/colour
- Knobs style/colour

"Only on TGP" for sure :)

PS. I'm a graphic designer (bachelor degree and over a decade in the industry) and would be willing to help out young builders with designs for freebies/discount/prototypes etc. I usually go for classy/slick minimalism though.

moonboots

" Call me dumb, naive, etc....but what is on that pedal's graphic? I've never looked to close, but at passing glance thought it was a flower."

Perhaps if you looked at the entire image .... :aok

haha awesome. i never noticed that before.

mrverks

Silver Supporting Member
Could you post some of your designs?
These aren't pedals obviously, (So don't flame me for posting non-pedal related work dudes, the man asked) BUT it's a sampling of illustration/design I've done on commercial products.. Do I think all of these would look great on a pedal? No. But you alway have the back and forth between your vision and what the client wants.. If I did pedals, I'd go a lot simpler than these basically because you're dealing with a lot less real estate.. Tone Tattoo is again a great example of over kill.. Too much crap going on.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom