• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Has a bad graphic ever prevented you from buying a pedal?

aaronmcoleman

The EHX Tone Tattoo, never heard anybody on here using one (and yes, I'm aware TGP isn't that pedal's demographic), but still...

This thing looks like Ed Hardy's vomit after swallowing some glow-sticks....

to be fair to Ed Hardy, he was a badass tattooer and artist. it's his estate that has plastered his images from shoulder to shoulder on the tightest fitting shirts ever made.

so i'd amend that to 'it looks like ed hardy's estate's vomit after swallowing some glow sticks...'

moonboots

Really? I love all the graphics on the Greenhouse pedals.
To each his own though!
i just checked them out for the first time because of this thread. i might have to buy one haha. the graphics are great! definitely appeals to someone with a certain kind of sense of humor i guess.

Greedo88

These aren't pedals obviously, (So don't flame me for posting non-pedal related work dudes, the man asked) BUT it's a sampling of illustration/design I've done on commercial products.
Very professional looking work. Thanks for sharing. Love to see some pedal designs if you do any in the future.

moonboots

visual appeal definitely plays a role in what pedals i want on my board..whether i'm proud of it or not. but if something sounds good and its the right size and price..and seems like its overall a better buy than the competition..im probably not gonna let visuals get in the way of that. i don't really like the way the source audio pedals look...but I've owned a couple. even though they look like space ships.

The last run of BBE pedals was pretty bad, but I still have one. I don't think I'd buy another one...although I always kinda wanted a Sonic Maximizer pedal. I use the plug in tons when I record. The pedal isn't as cool...but it still gives you a little beef.

worse than all of that though...some of the EHX graphics are pretty bad. the POGs look particularly cool. so does the Super Ego. the older ones were fine for the most part. and some of the less involved xo and nano series pedals look okay. but the Tone Tattoo? that pedal was doomed from the start. the Talking Machine...the QTrons...the Ring Thing. It's just too much. I like the Soul Food art, though. its as minimal as one can hope for from EH these days. Again, I still own a handful of EHX products.

Size, price, functionality, intuitiveness...they all play a bigger part than the art. but art might help me pick one product over the next if they're similar. and my gut's going to tell me to check out the one i think looks better first.

(Speaking of art and EHX..the paint on my XO Micro Synth has slowly been disappearing since I bought it almost 2 years back. and I've seen some others that look similar (not as bad as mine, though). It's been on a board the whole time...but most of my other pedals are in fine shape. I don't even step on the Micro Synth..it's been in a bypass loop almost the whole time I've had it. I'm sure it's from keeping loose cables rolled up in my case on top of my pedals, but none of my other pedals experience the same damage. Any body else have this problem with the EHX Micro Synth XO? my other EHX pedals are in the same case and they're fine. It just keeps getting worse, too.)

moonboots

These aren't pedals obviously, (So don't flame me for posting non-pedal related work dudes, the man asked) BUT it's a sampling of illustration/design I've done on commercial products.. Do I think all of these would look great on a pedal? No. But you alway have the back and forth between your vision and what the client wants.. If I did pedals, I'd go a lot simpler than these basically because you're dealing with a lot less real estate.. Tone Tattoo is again a great example of over kill.. Too much crap going on.

wow that's all really sick work!

Jason_77

Its never stopped me from buying a pedal BUT, I do appreciate when the manufacturer spends time on the visual design. It shows they really about their product.

MjCartney

Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie
Gold Supporting Member
I like the pedals to have a functional design. Aesthetics are cool, but not a primary concern, with these exceptions:

If the pedal looks too worn or abused, I will pass. The relic thing isn't for me.

If the pedal uses labels or graphics that I would've been uncomfortable to show my Mom, it's not going on my board, no matter how good it might sound.

High Pedality

Boss started it. Original, sheik, branded and colorful. They use the same enclosure, font, knobs but use color to visually categorize the pedal. Perfect.

Flash forward thousands of pedal companies later. People are rehousing the same circuit over and over again with minor tweaks if that. What's gonna set yours aside from something else? Make it look irresistibly delicious, like candy. Looking at the array of EQD, Walrus Audio, Mojo Hand stuff in a pedal cabinet in the store I work at, does something to people. Having these architectural designs, color schemes and names are what sells. It doesn't all have to be wild aesthetically.

Honestly, Voodoo Labs makes a great line of pedals. How much interest do they get at our store, rarely any. Let's face it, YOU CAN'T TELL EM APART. Unless you are reinventing the wheel, if you want your product to stand out, it has to have an original look.

I will also go on record to say that I like how the KTR looks.

Fight me.

JackJordan

I won't purchase anything with a crude name or visual... I've got kids, and I often play at churches. There is too much good stuff out there for me to feel the need to compromise.

I'll try things that I think look nice long before I try things that I don't. I don't think that's petty, I think that's smart. Frankly I don't have enough time to read every book, so I have to narrow down my search by judging their cover... :aok

moonboots

Pigtronix is another manufacturer that's turned me off in the past. The original Echolution pedal looks ridiculous...so does the Attack Sustain..not mention they're both enormous. the original Envelope Phaser is another one I never liked the design of. Also, the whole "Play Pigtronix, Get FAT" thing was a little silly. I own the Philosopher Rock, though..and I always thought it was kinda funny that the word ROCK takes up half the design of the pedal. But it sounds great and I got a really good deal on it used. Aside from when I use a pedal for reverb instead of my amp, the Rock is my only pedal that I always have on. I couldn't be happier with it. Except maybe if it said FAT on it. It would probably sound better that way.

Woody777

I have the opposite problem. I think my Walrus Audio Voyager has stayed on my board for so long because it looks so cool. I guess I really like the way it sounds too.

mrverks

Silver Supporting Member
The only thing on my board that I really just don't like the look of is the Whammy V.. The bright red combined with the terrible insanely huge "whammy" word mark on the expression pedal is so busted. I really really am tempted to find someone to redo the enclosure in a nice high quality black.. Would be much better IMHO

moonboots

Some companies I think have really good design work consistently are Walrus Audio, Earthquaker Devices, and Dr. Scientist. I also like the Strymon look...not much to it, but that's what's cool about it. It's also very much their own style I feel. Fairfield Circuitry's stuff looks cool, too. It's the epitome of minimal, but you know its a Fairfield pedal.

moonboots

The only thing on my board that I really just don't like the look of is the Whammy V.. The bright red combined with the terrible insanely huge "whammy" word mark on the expression pedal is so busted. I really really am tempted to find someone to redo the enclosure in a nice high quality black.. Would be much better IMHO

moonboots

I have the opposite problem. I think my Walrus Audio Voyager has stayed on my board for so long because it looks so cool. I guess I really like the way it sounds too.
yea my jupiter looks way too cool to every take off, even if i don't use it that much. it sounds really great..i just prefer overdrive. my current project doesn't really call for heavy fuzz typically.

musicwack

:facepalm

Visual Sound's V2 pedal line up are by far some of the cheesiest graphics I've seen. They sound great and I still have several of them to take out and jam on once in awhile, but aesthetically they are an eye sore on a pedalboard.

Also their shape was impractical to keep them of use on my pedaltrain board. If I use them on the bottom row, the elevated back makes it difficult to press pedals that would be placed on the back row. But then if you place them on the back row, the pointed part of the pedal would interfere with certain pedals I would then place on the bottom row. :facepalm

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I don't have a problem with bright colors and patterns and so on, but I really don't want to have stuff that looks just gross: the Womantone with the light up nipples, some of the ones that take the inevitable puns on the name and add graphics to illustrate. Why? Guitarists are so stupid it has to be spelled out?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom