• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Has a bad graphic ever prevented you from buying a pedal?

Drak

I once thought...what if there was a Federal law that stated every pedal ever made from every manufacturer had to look something like this:

ufo~

Visual Sound's V2 pedal line up are by far some of the cheesiest graphics I've seen. They sound great and I still have several of them to take out and jam on once in awhile, but aesthetically they are an eye sore on a pedalboard.

Also their shape was impractical...
Bingo. It's good to see the new versions are pedal board friendly and look much nicer.

guitarfor1

The tone garage series from Vox didnt floor me sonically but even if they did i would be hard pressed to put this on my board

Since when was it cool to not care about aesthetics?

I'll just wear sweat pants to the office. Nobody will see them under the desk.

chrisross

I totally care about aesthetics - I'm not here to meet y'alls standards, just mine.

I don't want two pedals of the same color on my board. I have the Fulldrive, so if I ever wanted another timmy I'd have to find a red one.

If a pedal doesn't look cool (to me), I won't buy it.

It's my pedalboard, and I get to assemble it however I want. Besides, you can check my sig to see that I'm not sacrificing tone ANYWHERE. I can't imagine my rig sounding better and I did it with pedals that I find aesthetically pleasing.

Class5

Aesthetics are simply a factor in design and play a major role in the choice of a purchase for many. I prefer the industrial & minimalist look of a pedal, as opposed to bright colours and naïve cartoon style graphics. But that doesn't mean I'll dismiss a pedal based on aesthetic, just that I have visual preferences.

Montez

Platinum Supporting Member
In the early days i delivered a custom pedal to a local player. The pedal had a fancy crackle/metalic paint. Really good looking pedal. The player stopped for a moment to admire to paint then dropped it on the floor and ground his boot into it, scraping off a big chunk of paint. He turned to me and said, "Now its ready to gig...".

Bartimaeus

If you don't like the way a pedal looks then make it look how you want to! It is really not rocket science to repaint it. Takes less then 5 min. to gut it. Grab yourself some sand paper, can of spray paint, can of clear coat, cheap stickers or decals and some cheap bulk knobs from china.

Here is a few I have done.

Garagetone Chainsaw Distortion and Biyang Baby Boom Max Distortion.

Biyang Baby Boom Phaser and Eno OCD Clone.
Those look really nice! Makes me want to do this to my whole board one day. Are the letters painted on as well?

moonboots

:facepalm

Visual Sound's V2 pedal line up are by far some of the cheesiest graphics I've seen. They sound great and I still have several of them to take out and jam on once in awhile, but aesthetically they are an eye sore on a pedalboard.

Also their shape was impractical to keep them of use on my pedaltrain board. If I use them on the bottom row, the elevated back makes it difficult to press pedals that would be placed on the back row. But then if you place them on the back row, the pointed part of the pedal would interfere with certain pedals I would then place on the bottom row. :facepalm
Yea I was never a fan of the way these looked. But as far as TS clones go..their 808 is great. I tried out a Jekyll and Hyde once. I didn't like the Hyde side so much..but the 808 side is great. I'm a fan of a bass boost on TS. Since I didn't like the Hyde side...I thought about the Route 66. But even graphics aside, I never liked the enclosure shape. It doesn't look like it would be pedalboard friendly at all. And I have some pretty big pedals on my board.

In the early days i delivered a custom pedal to a local player. The pedal had a fancy crackle/metalic paint. Really good looking pedal. The player stopped for a moment to admire to paint then dropped it on the floor and ground his boot into it, scraping off a big chunk of paint. He turned to me and said, "Now its ready to gig...".
Sounds like a disrespectful jerk. Does he relic a painting in front of the artist from whom he bought it??

voorhiessa

At least VS has listened to folks--their new stuff is much more traditional and professional looking.

skintknuckle

I'm guilty of not buying anything that doesn't look pleasing... blame it on my education as an architect or just inherent love of cool-looking things.

I'd happily design a pedal for you, whoever you are, as long as it sounds decent and you send me a sample. You can track down my contact information at www.mtparchitecture.com if you're not just being a smartass. I love graphic design, and often enter competitions that offer no compensation unless you win. Working for free is just part of the game when you're trying to make a name for yourself as a designer.
Very impressive work on your website.

thecornman

Those look really nice! Makes me want to do this to my whole board one day. Are the letters painted on as well?
Thanks I really like how they turned out! The letters are just stickers I got at a craft store. Easy to take off and change if I ever feel the need to down the line.

ajoep

I feel like with the number of options and builders big and small out there now you can get a fine sounding pedal for just about any sound you like at a range of prices from 'reasonable,' to pricey, to very pricey.

I totally consider looks. I want my pedals to look as good as they sound, if they don't there is another pedal out there that will.
Couldn't say better

pickdropper

I am Soldering Iron Man
Vendor
Its never stopped me from buying a pedal BUT, I do appreciate when the manufacturer spends time on the visual design. It shows they really about their product.
This kind of sums it up for me, too.

Obviously, a pedal is a tool that needs to sound good or it won't stay on the board.

That said, when I make a pedal, I usually put a lot of time into the aesthetics of it because I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to have something that sounds good and looks good. It just kind of rounds things out.

There are plenty of things in life that function fine without needing to look good. Some folks drive ugly cars because they only care about something that gets them from point A to point B; and that is fine. Others want a car that is pleasing to their eye and still gets them from point A to point B. That is also fine. The only thing that doesn't make sense is a car that looks great but doesn't run.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom