Has a model made you buy the real thing?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by frankencat, May 27, 2019.

1. DonnieRiddle

DonnieRiddle Member

You guys are really hurting the modeling industry! :rolleyes:

scott58 likes this.
  2. ejecta

ejecta Member

Yes... I’ve bought Suhr, Supro, and /13 amps due the models in modelers. The real amps sound even better in person than the models.

3. scott58

scott58 Member

I think it's a complement.

4. Revpolar

Revpolar Member

I had to have a Bogner Helios 50 after playing MBritt Kemper profiles.

frankencat likes this.
  5. Royslead

Royslead Member

I've considered, but not purchased yet, a Plexi and a 6505+. I have not been able to fully talk myself into it, after considering the initial cost, cost of tubes, weight, and at least in the Plexi's case - the volume at which I would have to run the amps to achieve the sound I get from the modeler.

6. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

I hope this pushes more amp makers to embrace the technology and commission their own sets of profiles/rigs (like Victory & Dr. Z) or promote the pro sets (Third Power - MBritt).

7. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I was wondering if there would be any mentions of older gen modeling. Was hoping I wasn’t going to be the only one.

I chased down a Superlead and a Mesa Mark series amp based off the experience I had playing their respective models in the PodXT way back.

I still own both of those amps.

8. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

If I could find a 63 Skylark for a reasonable price I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

I bought a 2203 based on the model from the original pod. I still feel like that model is one of the more accurate jcm800 models. Most jcm800 models are over gained buzz saws that lack the richness of the real thing.

Tmidiman likes this.
  10. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Not buy the real thing, as they are quite expensive. However I’m able to dial one up quickly, due to working with the model. Made my son change his mind from hating an amp to loving it.

Now an analog model got me to try a Vox AC30. Those amps are amazing! Not what I use, but I totally get it now. Ive not heard a digital model of a VOX that sounded anywhere as good as the analog model or the real thing (not including AXE and Kemper).

11. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Lots of my rock patches use Friedman models as a jumping off point. I picked up a Friedman Smallbox and it’s a lot of fun at home but live I need the versatility of the Axe. I use 25-30 patches in a show. I could get by with far fewer if I didn’t mind pedal dancing, but I’d rather step on one button than five when I change textures.

12. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Member

I’m definitely in love with the Dirty Shirley model in the AX8. I haven’t forked over the money yet because I don’t really need another amp.

The AC15 model in the Vamp2 convinced me to buy my own AC15TBX. I will never sell that amp!!!

13. Trem-o-dust

Trem-o-dust Member

Even worse. The Variax made me buy a Gretsch 6120 and a Tele.

14. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

The FAS gear made me understand and love Mark series amps which made me pick up a Triaxis recently. The Atomica and Friedman models made me buy a Ceriatone Son of Yeti.

X-Mann likes this.
  15. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

I bought several amps because of the model, with the most notable being the BE100. I found that while it was really good, the models were actually better.

Leon Todd and WBellman like this.
  16. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

Not yet, but the Axe-FX model of the Diezel Herbert has induced some serious Herbert GAS. Just haven’t convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

17. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Yes!

The Fractal AX8 made me want a Friedman amp & I bought a Runt 50.

Then the Waves PRS Supermodels plug-in made me want an Archon amp, so I bought the PRS MT15 “Mark Tremonti” Signature Head (That’s based off of the Archon).

I love & still own both amps......

Great/Fun thread here too!!!! A++

X

18. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

Yes.

I had the HX Effects, then got the Stomp and then got the LT.

But I do circle back periodically and make sure I am not missing anything....B15, SVT, Marshall 18W TMB, Tweed Deluxe, Fuzz

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I have loved the organic sound of Plexi's since they first came out.

Hearing a couple of great ones on my Kemper just confirmed that for me. I play through Marshalls live because as good as the Kemper profiles were for me, the feel was lacking from the original Plexis'.

20. ragingplatypi

ragingplatypi Member

I was a Fender guy, but now I'm a Vox guy, and probably going to become a Marshall (JTM/plexi...in reality, Origin) guy, all because of modelers. Everybody wins.