Has anybody ever owned a Marshall Mode 4?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, May 27, 2015.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Looking for a backup head. I would not mind using it as a stereo/slave with my UT.

Thanks

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I haven't played one. Alex Skolnick gives them props.

3. Serenity

Serenity Member

The only thing i know about the Mode 4 is that Dave Navarro used to use one for his clean tone in his live rig.

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Thanks gents! I have a line on one for under $300 and in great condition. I have been listening online and it sounds pretty damn good.

5. SigXer

SigXer Member

I never played one, but I thought they looked interesting when they came out.

6. AD1982

AD1982 Member

From what I remember, they were unreliable and sounded meh. At that time I was playing hard rock and metal. It reminded me of some of Randall's better offerings at the time. And I don't think that's saying much either. Think DSL but harsh and mildly sterile. I thought everything I heard live sounded awful.

7. manicompression

manicompression Member

I think as a backup amp it would be ok. I too have heard bad things about the reliability of these. $300 is about right price wise. I think SS can be cool and really enjoy the older first gen Valvestates like the 8100 and such. I have played through the MF. It was ok but not noteworthy against the older valvestates or Randall RG series.

8. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I remember that System of a Down used them and appeared in ads for them back in the early 2000s. But I suspect there's a good reason why they never caught on.

9. V-Type

V-Type Member

Bought a Mode4 for $300 last spring.
    Sold it a month later for the same.
    Not a bad SS amp but its Fizzy gain and cold feel wasnt for me.
    Now the Mode4 cabs are another story.

manicompression likes this.
  10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Weren't they sort of a required matched set? The cabs and head were designed as one and compensated for the SS power supply sounds?

11. manicompression

manicompression Member

the best cabs. great sound great build

12. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Those cabs were fitted with modified Celestion speakers. I think basically vintage 30s but with a different, more bassy cone. Avatar also sold them as the Hellatone 60L. You can still get 60s but 60Ls are long gone.
    That is a phenomenal speaker.

13. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

It always surprises me when pro players use like a three or 4 channel amp for its cleans. If that was the thing you liked about the amp, was it so good that you couldnt find a clean channel on a single channel or smaller amp that was better? Bizarre.

14. Custom50

Custom50 Member

My friend spent a fortune on the half stack when it came out. It sounded OK at best. The cab sounded phenomenal with a mesa head though. I think the story is that the cab is a real winner but the head is only OK and best ignored unless you get a great deal.

15. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Not as bizarre if Marshall is sending you the amps for free as part of an endorsement deal....which is what I assume they were doing with Navarro. Just trying to get them on stage behind a reputable player.

16. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Ya there is that. Which happens a lot.

Custom50 likes this.
  17. Custom50

Custom50 Member

No doubt man....and like the sucker I am I have bought a few things "because so and so uses one!" haha

18. B Money

B Money Member

the Mode 4 amps themselves were not well received and only lasted a couple of years IIRC. I never played one myself but I imagine for backup/emergency use it would be totally fine.

As already noted however, the 4x12 cabs were another story. They are oversized (tall), constructed mostly from plywood, and had some good speakers in them. Many compared them favorably to the Mesa oversized 4x12 cabs.

Having said that, I seem to recall that Marshall offered a cheaper variant of the Mode 4 cabinets so be aware of that.

19. manicompression

manicompression Member

Well there are two different mode 4 series 4x12s. Both are great imo. There is the mf400, which has celestion k100's in it and the mf280 which has the v30 variant mentioned earlier. I actually own one of each. I prefer the mf400 but the mf280 is still great.

I would actually like to swap the speakers between the two, half and half but they are 8 and 16 ohms respectively.

20. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I played one of these in Florida at Sam Ash. All I know is that I wasnt into the heavy metal sound at that time (I used to be then it went away then came back) and it sounded AMAZING. I mean I remember standing in front of it in awe. The cab was great too. I dont know what model or anything but it was great.