Has anybody ever RTFM before you bought a pedal?

Buck Woodson

Supporting Member
We're mostly men so we never ask for directions and we never read manuals unless and until we're hopelessly lost, right?

But if we're seriously thinking about buying a pedal, especially an expensive and/or complicated pedal, shouldn't we be reading that manual BEFORE we buy it? To make sure our expectations align with reality? Not that I've ever done it but I probably should.

Oldschool59

I always read the manual before any purchase. So, one could say that I never impulse-buy. I walk in that store knowing more about the product than the salesperson. It has happened that I had GAS about something, and, upon reading the manual, realize that it is not the device for me.

Last edited:

TheoDog

Supporting Member
Reading the manual is part of the buying process.
And as a contributing TGP member, I sometimes read the manual for other people too lazy to it themselves. Many questions about gear are answered in the manuals.

Drew66

Pedals have manuals (LOL)? I mostly buy used and they rarely come with them. On the rare occasion I feel the need, I look at it online. Occasionally before, but typically after purchase.

Sometimes. I definitely have for modelers, but much less so for pedals.

I did watch the walk through videos for the Strymon El Capistan before buying and probably looked at the manual PDF.

Lung plunger

If the manual is in the box with the new pedal, how do you read it before buying it? That's like psychic-itry witchcraft stuff.

smithguitars

Supporting Member
I collect the manuals for everything I’m interested in and study before purchasing. I like manuals. They help me decide on my priorities and learning the functions of the pedals that I may have not of thought of.

Last edited:

TonePilot

Supporting Member
We're mostly men so we never ask for directions and we never read manuals unless and until we're hopelessly lost, right?

But if we're seriously thinking about buying a pedal, especially an expensive and/or complicated pedal, shouldn't we be reading that manual BEFORE we buy it? To make sure our expectations align with reality? Not that I've ever done it but I probably should.
I can think of three actually.
  1. Digitech JamMan Looper
  2. SDRUM
  3. GT-1000

Trending Topics