Has anybody here compared a Mesa Mark IV to a Bogner XTC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

And if so, can you tell me of the differences you felt were between the two?

I love my Mark IV, but keep getting drawn towards the Bogner, big time.

2. coxswain

coxswain Member

Yea the Bogner is going to give you a "woody" and more organic sound. I like to think of it as a thick roaring cello type of a sound. The Bogner is going to give you a large variety of mid gain tones that the Mark IV just cannot do. These tones include cranked plexi (on the plexi mode) and early browned out Van Halen sounds. The Blue channal alone is going to give you a very large variety of gain tones, from early rolling stones break up to saturated classic metal tones (Guns n Roses, ozzy, etc).

The lead channels of the Bogner and Boogie are both great. They are both very compressed and a lead player's dream for buttery, smooth, sustainy lead tones. The mark IV i think is a touch easier to play but they are both pretty darn lead friendly (the notes in both amps hopp off the fretboard). The Bogner will give you more of a vai voicing and a lower mid range emphasis, and the Boogie of course will give you the petrucci sound.

For heavy rhythims its really apples and oranges. The Bogner will give you more of a marshall roar but without the top end sizzle. I would say the boogie is going to give you tighter palm mutes and thus I would say it is better for a metal player. Of course this is all preference.

Finally, the clean channels of these amps are also different. The Mark IV, in my opinion, wins this battle. It is voiced more like a dark fender super reverb and has a bell like quality. The Bogner, in the el-34 101b version, is a much more sterile sound and of course the Bogner does not have reverb laoded.

Final result? Honestly if your jonesing to try out the Bogner I would absolutely go for it. I feel it is a much more versitle beast than the Mark IV. I would trade my Mark IV any day of the week for the XTC (and not because the XTC is worth more).

Also, I would recomend getting some kind of Bogner cab with the XTC. There cabs are the best for that amp.

I would also check out the Egnater Mod 50, it isthe most versitle of all and only 2k new. For me, I dig the tourmaster as well in that it gives off some of the XTC vibe.

Chase

3. madstrat

madstrat Member

^^^spot on

let me add one thing...tweaking for tone

the bogner was easy and the mesa took time...hmmm... like weeks, for me:jo

4. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I think Chase made some killer observations between both amps but in the end its really a matter of preferance. Id take my MKIV over any Bogner any day because its voiced just the way I like it and I can get the Boogie to do everything that I want. Id really suggest that you play the Bogner or maybe rent one out if you can before you take the plunge.

5. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

And for counterpoint. I had a MKIV for 12 years and blew it off without a look back for a Bogner Metropolis.

I guess I was using so little of all of what the Boogie had to offer that I didn't feel like I would miss anything and for what I was looking for (clean with hair to grindy grit) the Metro just blew the Boogie out of the water.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

To be honest Ralph, I really need to try a Bogner first, but the only person I know with one is Mark (Big Hair) and his is modded to sound more "modern". I'm scared shitless of contemplating selling the Mark IV, but the Bogner GAS won't leave.

I'm still thinking the wisest option is to get a Shiva aswell as the Mark IV!?

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

8. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

You can't lose with a Shiva :dude

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

You're probably right. I just dunno why the XTC is calling me so bad.

10. coxswain

coxswain Member

Well, what are you trying to accomplish with the Shiva? What elements of the XTC intrigue you? What sounds are you looking for in either amp that the Mark IV cannot cover? Do you just want a different flavor of high gain? Is it possible to keep the BOogie and save up for either the XTC or Shiva? How much emphasis do you put on your clean tones? The Shiva has the best cleans of all 3.

Keep in mind the Bogner is not going to sound like the Boogie's high gain channel. So if you LOVE that sound, either keep the Mark IV OR.....sell the mark IV and try and find a Mark III cheap!

good luck!.....I want all of those amps as well!

Chase

11. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

The XTC is mighty but I think they sound a lot different. One of my buddies has one with 6L6s and they have a pretty distinct sound. The IV sounds more like a spaceship and the XTC sounds more like a dinosaur. That is my ridiculous comparison.

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

It's not a case of not being able to cover any ground with the IV at all, I can't really explain it. I don't dislike my Mark IV in any way, whatsoever. Well, I don't love Rhy2, but that's a different matter. I like the cleans and adore the high gain tones. The lead channel is extremely thick and buttery, but is the Bogner even more so?

I'm pretty much positive the IV is gonna better the Bogner for rhythm tones, due to it's tighter nature.

With the Shiva, I guess it's to get that Bogner flavour, but also add some different tones to my rig. A Shiva/IV combo has always struck me as a nice mix, and would work well.

:Spank

13. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

If you are looking for some different tones try 6V6s in the Mark IV. The Shiva suggestion was a good one too. Not what you were asking for but the Mesa is capable of even more tones with the other tubes. I kept my Shiva and sold my XTC.

14. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Maybe I just need to sit with my Mark IV for a bit, zero the controls and dial in some new tones. I haven't tweaked it in a good while, due to the fact it sounds amazing right now and I don't want to lose the tone!

15. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

no get the shiva. i played both before i bought and the shiva was awsome. but i also wanted reverb, and the XTC is a no go unless you use pedals or rack stuff. that being said i know a guy with one and a soldano space box.....wow. just awsome.

16. coxswain

coxswain Member

I will tell you that the 2nd channel on the XTC, also known as the blue channel, is everything you had wished the 2nd channel on the Mark IV could be. The lead channel or 3rd channel on the XTC is very buttery and smooth just like the Mark IV, but it is different...Its woodier than the Mark IV, and I would also say that its a little harder than the mark IV to play on...you have to work it more. With that said, its a dream to play on, not stiff at all like some other amps.

The shiva has a voicing that I feel is more raw. I think it captures some of the charecteristics of some of the old JCM 800 Marshalls. It has more of an emphasis on the upper mids and highs. It is not as "chewy" as the XTC. All IMHO of course. It has way less gain then either the Mark IV or the XTC.

Oh, and as far as rhythm heavy tones. I would say the Mark IV has a tight voicing for modern metal ryhthem tones and palm mutes, but the XTC DOES get heavy in its own right and there are def plenty of players that use the XTC AND play heavy music. The XTC is going to be more articulate and you may be able to distinguish the notes more cleary. You may even like the XTC heavy sound better. For me, I got tired of the Petrucci mesa inspired sounds.

I think a Shiva and Mark IV played at the same time would be killer. Best of both worlds. You could have the mark IV coveriing the lows and the shiva taking care of the Crisp mids and highs.

Chase

17. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

How high gain is channel 2 of the Bogner?

18. coxswain

coxswain Member

Its not that the Blue channel of the XTC has TONS of gain, but it is voiced perfectly. You can alter the EQ to make it sound sweet or agressive. As far as the gain itself...I would say that it comes close to Jerry Cantrell's Alice in Chains sounds (maybee a little less again then that...but you get the idea). A lot of guys who own the Bogner have said that they could use the 2nd channel all night as there base rhythm and lead sounds with only a rare appearence of channel 3. Channel two offers plenty of sustain and butter.

So, with all this talk about the Mark IV, I decided to plug the amp into my Bogner 4x12 cab loaded with vintage 30s. It sounded awesome and it made me realize that only the mark series amps sound like mark series amps. I know i said before that I would trade the Mark IV for the Bogner any day of the week, and I probably would, but I would also inevitably buy another mark series amp. You love your Mark IV as it is, why give that up? From there, I would save up for the shiva or the XTC. Although, based on how much you love the Mark IV, the "smoothness" of the XTC is probably right up your alley.

Chase

19. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

For 3/4 of that post, you had me convinced to keep the IV, but the last quarter has set my mind racing again... :mad:

20. cust22

cust22 Member

I don't have any experience with either of those amps. But if you love the mark IV why get rid of it? Just save for the Bogner and have the best of both worlds. This way you can play what ever your in the mood for.:AOK