Has anybody taken deliverty of an RSA 23 yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Anybody? Still a four month wait?

How much is a new one?

2. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

I went and played one at Fred's today...lets put it this way I am selling alot of my marshalls, and sending Fred a check next week... what is 2 or 3 months anyways...

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

So that's why you're on a selling spree

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

any sound clips to be had anywhere ?

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

This is...mmm, the fourth thread inquiring about clips of this amp. Nobody has the goods...yet.:(

6. GasMask

GasMask Member

Sweet! I wish I had the chance to play one myself. How about some details? How would you describe the sound? What do you think it can do well, and what can it not do? Is it quiet? Any thoughts would be very cool- Thanks!

7. Lamont

Lamont Member

Got my small box 23 last week--gigged it last friday --just killer!!!Used it w/ a Marshall 2061 2-12 closed back cab w/ weber silver bells --THE SILVER BELLS SOUND JUST AS GOOD AS MY VOX SILVER DOGS!!
    So now my main amps are RSA 23 big box w/ D-13 2-12 w/ orig. Vox silver dogs and my small box 23 w/ the 2061 cab w/ Weber silver bells ,It just doesnt get much better .
    But i gotta say that i'm diggin my new Matchless spitfire head w/ these cabs for a bit of el-84 chime as well THANKS MOODS.
    Or should i say ,Thanks Phil J. and of coarse Fred ,your friggin amaizing.

8. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Any differneces between the big box and the small box?

9. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Is he gonna say...

"...the big box takes up more space?..."

...ta dump....

10. Lamont

Lamont Member

Yes --its true--the big box is bigger!!!!The small box is --well ---not as big.
    But the real dif between the two is the click channal(thats the more aggressive one on the right side that uses the 5879 pre amp tube for that kick in the ass lead tone)
    The six position click knob is gone on the small box but shares the tone shaping of the clean channal(trble,bass ,mid)and i dont think you can use a switchazel like one the big box.But the lower second jack gets ya through that 5879 tube .I hope that i explained that well enough.
    The reason that i got the small box was that most of my gigs i will still use my pedal board and just use the clean side which is awsome and the baby looks cool on my 2061 cab(like the one Fred developed w/ my 2-12 jubellee cab that i loaned him .Thank you very little!
    The small box looks just like the 9/15head.
    I went through this w/ my good friend Ron on which to get.The big box is more versitile because of the ch. swithching application and the click is cool. So for about $400 more ,well, id go for it .
    But the baby 23 sounds just like its big brother and if ya don't need the switching and use a pedal for your more agressive stuff,the baby 23 will do just fine .To end this ,again i must say this is by FAR the best amp i've ever had .I feel fortunate to have the two 23s.So just get both .Backups are nice !And its $$$well spent.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Scott,

What type of Marshall does the big box compare to? I have a FRT 37, Komet 60, Germino Classic 45 (on the way), Sex Amp (on the way). I'm trying to figure out where in this tonal menagerie an RSA 23 would fit. Is it similar in tone to any of the above mentioned amps? :)

12. Lamont

Lamont Member

Greg and Adam make some great amps.Ive had the pleasure to play both.The 23 is like no other amp before it. You really can't compare it to anything ever built.It has its own sig.--Looks like you got a bunch of $$$$ on amps on order.I'll PM you my e-mail and i'll be happy to talk amps w/ ya .

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The 23 is quite possibly my fave Divided by 13 amp. If it had been available when I bought my 37, I very well might have bought the 23 instead (though I was looking for a really good "Fender clean" and that's not what the 23 is about).

I agree with Lamont...it doesn't directly compare to any Marshall I can name...yet it has a distinctly "more Marshally" quality than the other 13s, even the SJT37. It's in the nature of its overdriven sound. It's got that kaaaaraaaang. But at the same time, it's ultra responsive and not "hard" sounding.

14. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

I eould agree with Leon, I have a SJT37, which is a great "marshall/fender kinda range...with the el 34's you get to that marshall tone... But When I heard the rsa 23 the other day... It is very marshall, Just a great sounding amp from the first couple of chords I was blown away...more aggressive than the sjt37 (which has a smooth feel) the rsa23 wants to rip your head off.

15. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Just ordered mine yesterday......Since finding /13 between the 37 I have and the rsa 23 thats coming ......along with my sommatone roaring 20 (el84's) I think my tonequest is covered.....

16. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

my friend is interested in getting an rsa23 after hearing my ftr 37. we were wondering if the rsa23 has more gain on tap at lower volumes ... and if theres about the same amount of headroom as the ftr37.

thanks, jon

17. Leonc

Haven't measured it but my impression is that the RSA23 is slightly quieter and has slightly less clean headroom. These differences are not big. But...I think it sounds pretty damn good through two greenbacks in a closed back cab (as opposed to the '37) and THAT will make it even quieter (and lower the clean headroom further).

18. themusicboxstudios

he wants some nice classic rock tones. his music is along he lines of the foo fighters. he's been using a hiwatt custom 50 w/ an OCD with the gain at about 12-3 o clock. He is in love with marshall jmp's, but wants something with a nice clean as well and about the same amount of gain on tap. could this be the ticket for him?

thanks, jon

19. Leonc

Man...even with your detailed description, it's awfully hard to predict what peope who you don't know really well are going to like. But with that in mind, I can tell you with complete confidence, yes, of course it's the perfect amp for him :p .

20. themusicboxstudios

hahah, ya i understand. i think we're gonna go down to freds shop sometime in the next couple of weeks and try it out for ourselves.