Has anybody tried out WGS G12c and G12c/s speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarPlaynTaylor, Jun 1, 2015.

1. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

Im looking to get a 12 inch speaker in my PRRI as the Emi Legend that is in there now is too bright and gives up too quickly for me to use as a back up amp... Definitely want an american voiced speaker and WGS seems great from the reviews. Im wondering how much darker the c/s is. Ive had a Rajin Cajin speaker in the PRRI before and it took pedals beautifully and it seems that the c/s would be a similar vibe. Maybe a little more chimey? Can anyone comment? Thanks!

2. pbmw

pbmw Member

I believe the "s" means it has a smooth cone
    I have a 212 with G12c's in it. I play my 76 SFPR through it and it sounds HUGE. But it also detracts from what makes it an SFPR. Not in a bad way....just not like a SFPR

3. gtone

gtone Member

Ragin' Cajun sounds ok, but somewhat dull, lifeless and "wooden" compared to the G12c IMHO. A bit more of a mid-scoop perhaps with the WGS though.

4. tresspassor

tresspassor Member

I've tried all 3 of these speakers in my HRDX. The Eminence Legend was brightest and the G12C/S was the smoothest. The S is just slightly less bright and less spanky than the regular G12C. I also have a PR style amp with a 12" baffle. I tried the G12C in that one. It sounded nice, but I settled on a Weber 12F150 50W in that amp.

5. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

The G12C/S is one of my favorite speakers. I had it in a Vintage Sound.

6. bratch

bratch Member

I like the wgs g12c/s much better than the ragin' cajun for the princeton. The RCs work well in multi-speaker setups, but I'm not a fan of the character as it is.

That said. I prefer 10s as a rule in my PRRI, which may discredit my opinion around here. I really like 10s, and I find that the amp benefits from a suitable example. My two favorites to this day are the copperhead by eminence and then the red alnico tone tubby (which was quite different). The wgs g12c/s (in another cab, albeit) is pretty good, but I think I would prefer to get a DRRI rather than run a 12 in a Princeton -- and I bought my amp expecting to do a baffle swap because of its popularity here and on the tele forum.

The '12c/s is not really a dark speaker. I use it in a tweed deluxe, and it sounds great as long as I control my low end. It'd be bright enough for a PRRI.

7. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I found the G12CS a bit too warm for me. I could see using it on a bright amp, to tame things. But, I would be going for another speaker on neutral amps or those without bright caps.

8. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

Decisions decisions... Thinking about the et10 as well!

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I prefer the G12C because it has the "sparkle" that the G12C/S doesn't have.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I paired a G12C with a G10C in a 12x10 pine cabinet ... a big winner. So much so, I'm using the same scheme in a 2x12 tweed combo I just got. Using a 12 to 10 converter on one of the the baffle holes. These two speakers sound beautiful together.
    MD

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have that combination in my SG twin... Super fender sparkle. The s breaks up a little more. I also have the tens in an open back pine cab.