Has anyone changed string gauge after Beato video?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Cuthbert, Feb 16, 2020.

1. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Ty Tabor started downtuning on the Dogman album, but continued to use 9s. You can hear the twang of those thin strings flapping in the breeze despite the gainy texture of the Dual Rec. A master player like him adjusts his playing style to make it work.

2. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I'd probably go up a gauge for a half step down. I don't detune Much though. You do have to be careful not to hit too hard to not sound out of tune. Maybe I'll try 9-42 on my single coil guitar but the 9-44 is pretty nice

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Nah, I already have what I like.

I prefer the feel of 10s. Even if my rig sounded a little better with 9s I like the extra little bit of tension.

4. Lephty

Lephty Member

Not because of the video but I switched from 11's to 10's about a year ago. My tone instantly got more bite and clarity, plus much easier to bend in tune. Surprised it took me so damned long to figure it out.

5. Strat-O-Mechani

Strat-O-Mechani Member

I’m too set in my ways to change now. I played .013-.056 for years with a plain .024 third string. I like the sound, but got so sick of always fighting with intonation that I have dropped down to .012-.056 with a 0.18 third string. This is where I will stay. I find it extremely challenging to play in tune on a guitar strung with .009-.042 now. Hello, arthritis...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

7. Marco Giampa

Marco Giampa Member

In my opinion I dont think difference string "tone" from different gauges makes no difference in my string purchasing decision. I have been running ernie ball 11s since I started playing and I chose 11s mainly because of the more tension. I have quite a strong attack so i like the strings to not move alot when im pickuing, especially as i use thick picks. I also feel that as the string is a little harder to bend, i put more feel into my bends and vibratos. Im considering the move to elixir 11s as the "twangy" new string feel hangs around for longer and they dont tend to become dead after afew months like uncoated strings. Everyones preference is different. If you want better "tone" from your string by going up a gauge, then do it, if you dont care, then dont. Thats my two cents on the topic anyway :)

8. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

No, been using 10's for years, my new Tele came with 9's, I thought I'd leave them on for a while, didn't last more than a week, vibrato and string bends were all over the place

9. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Thank you! I was going to post something snarky to respond to all of the snarky posts. I'm not interested in changing strings because a popular YouTuber say so. I'm interested in how the guitar sounds sitting in the mix with a recorded ensemble. It's all about supporting the song, not about what gauge SRV used. This place is getting more and more like Facebook.

10. Captainruss

Captainruss Member

About the time the Beato video came out I was planning on trying 9s as opposed to sticking with my usual 10-46 strings on my next string change. Well I went with 9-46 rather than 42 so it wasn’t sa drastic change and I really like the balance and feel. My bends are way easier and I am learning to lighten my grip a bit and it’s forcing me to listen to the notes more to see if I am fretting out to fast or making them too sharp. Still, the heavier bottom strings are just where I like them and nothing has changed there.

I didn’t do it because the YouTube told me to try lighter strings, I was going to do it anyway and I am glad I did.

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Pretty sure "glassy" takes into account the amplifier (and the historic presence of tubes), which is why the term tends not to be applied to acoustic guitars.

12. Mike J.

Mike J. Member

Why should I after 30 years of playing 10’s? Man, I know best what sounds and feels best to me and I rely on my given instincts rather than on sponsored ads ;-)

13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member

A few years ago settled on...
    9-46 Strats & Tele's
    10-46 LPs

14. Rahwana Putih

Rahwana Putih Member

Iommi did it because of his fingers, didn't he?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  15. Roe

Roe Member

you can use the same tension if you down tune. Here's the details: http://stringtensionpro.com/

16. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Maybe, we don’t know, do we? and sounds fine!

17. Roe

Roe Member

we do - it was a virtue of necessity

18. SDB

SDB Member

Nope. Changing strings to what somebody else likes makes about as much sense to me as changing my pants size to what somebody else wears.

JDouglee likes this.
  19. 2020jan08

2020jan08 Member

Whoever did, Beato me to it.

20. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I used to use that, but the last week or so, the site doesn't work and I've tried on several computers.

Josh

Roe likes this.